Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hang In There!!!

tag
nupey10
Regular Contributor

Hang In There!!!

Just wanted to give an encouraging word and hopefully help someone who may be in the same boat as I was. Hang in there. For probably 99 percent of those looking to rebuild there is no quick fix, but if you are on this site then you are on the yellow brick road that will lead to the place you want to be.. you just have to hang on in there.

In March 2014 I started seriously trying to rebuild. My scores were all sub 530. I had according to EQ 14 derogs and 28 closed. Most of my troubles stemmed from stupidly getting involved with people who didn't know what they were doing in the business world .... and neither did I. Bills and debt piled up so high I was overwhelmed with the amount of money I owed. ( free advice borrowing money to pay off debt is not a good solution) ( free advice #2 ignoring your problems will not make them magically disappear)

Shortening a long story. I got serious but I still didn't quite know what I was doing. A good friend turned me on to a repair agency. Again there are NO QUICK FIXES even with these people. They did everything I could have done on my own had I been more diligent but I was in uncharted waters for myself. But as I relied on the repair agency I was doing my research as well. Once I started gaining knowledge on how the game is played, after 20 months I let go of the agency and started doing things on my own to save money. Research research research...this is a great site to use along with youtube. This credit game ( system ) will eat you up and wear you down so arm yourself with knowledge. Read as many post as you can here, engage in discussions, some topics that you think are not for you may be for you in the future. That's all I got good luck to you all...

2014 TU 527
         EX 503
          EQ 496

Just yesterday I received a huge bump with TU and I expect another with EQ to follow.

myfico.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hang In There!!!

@nupey10 wrote:

Just wanted to give an encouraging word and hopefully help someone who may be in the same boat as I was. Hang in there. For probably 99 percent of those looking to rebuild there is no quick fix, but if you are on this site then you are on the yellow brick road that will lead to the place you want to be.. you just have to hang on in there.

In March 2014 I started seriously trying to rebuild. My scores were all sub 530. I had according to EQ 14 derogs and 28 closed. Most of my troubles stemmed from stupidly getting involved with people who didn't know what they were doing in the business world .... and neither did I. Bills and debt piled up so high I was overwhelmed with the amount of money I owed. ( free advice borrowing money to pay off debt is not a good solution) ( free advice #2 ignoring your problems will not make them magically disappear)

Shortening a long story. I got serious but I still didn't quite know what I was doing. A good friend turned me on to a repair agency. Again there are NO QUICK FIXES even with these people. They did everything I could have done on my own had I been more diligent but I was in uncharted waters for myself. But as I relied on the repair agency I was doing my research as well. Once I started gaining knowledge on how the game is played, after 20 months I let go of the agency and started doing things on my own to save money. Research research research...this is a great site to use along with youtube. This credit game ( system ) will eat you up and wear you down so arm yourself with knowledge. Read as many post as you can here, engage in discussions, some topics that you think are not for you may be for you in the future. That's all I got good luck to you all...

2014 TU 527
         EX 503
          EQ 496

Just yesterday I received a huge bump with TU and I expect another with EQ to follow.

myfico.JPG

Awesome! Congrats!

What exactly did you do?  I am currently in a rebuild waiting for a dispute to finish.

Message 2 of 8
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@nupey10

Congrats on your progress! I enjoy reading awesome updates such as yours. Thank you for mentioning that credit repair is certainly something you can do on your own. Some people dont have the tenacity to do so and they dont do their research. I almost gave up and became that person but I feel like the journey is teaching me so much more then just paying someone money I can use towards my debt. I will keep working to have my own success story soon. Kudos Smiley Wink

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 3 of 8
nupey10
Regular Contributor

Thanks Cherekas

I hope I didn't come off as against using repair agencies.  For some ( me) it was very useful to start with.  My tenacity to do it on my own was something that developed over time.  And for all just starting on the rebuild journey it does take time but sooooooo worth it when you start seeing the fruits of your labor, as with anything in life you work hard for.  Keep on your journey Cherekas, you will be 700+ soon and 800 shortly after that!!!!! 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nupey10 wrote:

Thanks Cherekas

I hope I didn't come off as against using repair agencies.  For some ( me) it was very useful to start with.  My tenacity to do it on my own was something that developed over time.  And for all just starting on the rebuild journey it does take time but sooooooo worth it when you start seeing the fruits of your labor, as with anything in life you work hard for.  Keep on your journey Cherekas, you will be 700+ soon and 800 shortly after that!!!!! 

Good to hear it gets better, I just wish it was faster lol

How long did it all take?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. I'm in my early 40s and I have NEVER had good credit thanks to irresponsible exes and having to take care of kids by myself with no college education, plus the missteps of youth. It just seems to take forever to repair credit. Everything operates at a snail's pace.

Apply, 7-10 days to receive a decision.

Get denied, have to wait 30-90 days or longer to apply again.

Get approved, have to wait as long as 2+ weeks for the card to arrive.

Dispute an item, have to wait 30 days or so for it to be resolved.

Dispute goes nowhere, have to research what to do next.

Pay your bills on time, score inches up by minute fractions.

Get denied credit, credit drops due to the pull but no credit gained.

It's mind-numblingly frustrating. Everyone says it's a marathon, not a sprint, but when you're getting older and you see your last chance at getting a mortgage you can hope to pay off in a lifetime slipping away, you tend to get a teensy bit impatient. LOL 

Plus, seeing so many people getting approvals at places like Navy Federal with worse scores than mine makes me super sad. I'm very happy for the ones who get it, but I just wish I could.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Same here. I'm in my early 40s and I have NEVER had good credit thanks to irresponsible exes and having to take care of kids by myself with no college education, plus the missteps of youth. It just seems to take forever to repair credit. Everything operates at a snail's pace.

Apply, 7-10 days to receive a decision.

Get denied, have to wait 30-90 days or longer to apply again.

Get approved, have to wait as long as 2+ weeks for the card to arrive.

Dispute an item, have to wait 30 days or so for it to be resolved.

Dispute goes nowhere, have to research what to do next.

Pay your bills on time, score inches up by minute fractions.

Get denied credit, credit drops due to the pull but no credit gained.

It's mind-numblingly frustrating. Everyone says it's a marathon, not a sprint, but when you're getting older and you see your last chance at getting a mortgage you can hope to pay off in a lifetime slipping away, you tend to get a teensy bit impatient. LOL 

Plus, seeing so many people getting approvals at places like Navy Federal with worse scores than mine makes me super sad. I'm very happy for the ones who get it, but I just wish I could.

What gets me is paying on time and doing the right things just gives you a few points here and there, but one bad thing can tank your score in an instant.

Message 7 of 8
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@VoltaicShock,

I started my rebuild around late 2015, I've recently started to see increases as I paid off chargeoffs on my reports. I have 2 (both settled and paid now). I haven't had a late payment in over almost 30 months now. It certainly is a marathon but I didnt see increases until I started paying off my debt. I decided this year I would be desciplined with my debt and thats where I am. I made a choice and Im finally being rewarded for it.

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.