Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquires

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Inquires

So I have a ton of hard inquires from two seperate bad car buying experiances last year one was last June, the other was in December. I eventually ended up leasing a VW Tiguan for my wife from a reputable dealership in March of this year, and only had two hard hits. My question would be has anyone tried to get them removed, and what methods worked for you? I appreciate the help! I'm currently around a 640 FICO and am trying to get it to where I can purchase my dream car in 9 months. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Hard Inquires

The HP's am from June aren't affecting your scores any longer, and both sets are scored as 1 HP. And you can't get removed as they are legitimate HP's
Message 2 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have a ton of hard inquires from two seperate bad car buying experiances last year one was last June, the other was in December. I eventually ended up leasing a VW Tiguan for my wife from a reputable dealership in March of this year, and only had two hard hits. My question would be has anyone tried to get them removed, and what methods worked for you? I appreciate the help! I'm currently around a 640 FICO and am trying to get it to where I can purchase my dream car in 9 months. 

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Inqs only are factored into Fico score for up to 1 year though they remain on file for 2 years. Auto loan inqs are counted as one when they are done within a 14 day period. If you are denied credit due to the number of inquiries you can call for a recon and tell the UW which of those were for the auto loan. There is no way to have inquiries removed unless they are due to ID Theft. I will let you know it would be better if you could find your own financing like a CU and then go to the dealership all pre approved. You can get more info on how to do this in the Auto Loan forum.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate the info! I did not know the wholes 1 year thing. I thought they impacted the score for 2 years, that's good to know! I recently got appoved for a few small limit cards that I applied for. I am hoping to increase my credit limit and boost my score. My goal right now is to get my score high enought to finnance a new car for my self. I'm currently driving a 2012 Mustang, and am hoping to get into a 2018 Mustang around the beginning of the year if not around March of next year. I have finnaly get all my deliquent accounts paid off as of last October, and just have a few student loans on there. A lot of the cards that I have right now are secured cards with lower limits, and I'm trying to get a few higher limit cards. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

HP can be disputed if you didn't authorize a car dealership to pull them.
Message 5 of 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

By asking for financing at the dealership you are authorizing the pulls.
Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA is specifically structured so that specific consumer authorization to pull their credit report is not required IF the purpose of the inquiry is for one or more of the permissible purposes detailed under FCRA 604.  Otherwise, processing of credit and business applications would come to a crawl.

The most common permissible purpose is a "consumer-initiated request for credit or insurance."

If you inititate a request for credit, you grant permissible purpose without any need for your specific authorization for the inquiry.

Message 7 of 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

When we got our truck last year one of the papers we signed stated something along the lines of 'we may attempt financing at 1 or more companies'. Can't remember the exact wording but that authorized as many HP's as they wanted to do.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.