Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard inquiries myth

tag
gemntheholigram
Valued Member

Hard inquiries myth

Hard inquires do affect your credit score, approximately 10%. Yes you canwait out the two years but with the proper documentation you can dispute these and have them removed in a matter of 3 months (in my experience).

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: Hard inquiries myth

@gemntheholigram wrote:

Hard inquires do affect your credit score, approximately 10%. Yes you canwait out the two years but with the proper documentation you can dispute these and have them removed in a matter of 3 months (in my experience).

Disputing inquiries runs the risk of a fraud alert being placed on your reports, as you are essentially asserting that somebody else applied for credit in your name without your consent. Be aware ...

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  Plus the fact that multiple disputes can cause problems with you CR in some instances.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The only legitimate basis for disputing a credit inquiry is an assertion that the inquiry was made without permissible purpose.

If they can meet any of the stated permissible purposes set forth in FCRA 604, I have no idea what basis for a dispute would be.

Coding as a so-called hard vs soft inquiry is an administrative coding process, and is unregulated under the FCRA.

If you dispute, you must dispute through the CRA.  The direct dispute process specially exempts all disputes relating to credit inquiries.

When the party made inquiry for the credit report, they provided a statement of permissible purpose to the CRA, who has it in their records.

Not having seen that certification, I am unsure as to how a consumer could assert that it does not provide a permissible purpose.

Inquires only count in FICO scoring for one year, so by the time a dispute process runs its course, which will place a dispute flag in your file and thus render your FICO score essentially useless until the dispute is concluded, it is not, in my opinion, usually worth the effort.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.