Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard inquries vs soft inquries

tag
TwoBeFree
Contributor

Hard inquries vs soft inquries

I applied for a new savings account with Georgia Own Credit Union they did a hard pull on my Equifax report. Is there any way that I can get this inqury removed or changed to a soft pull? I also had the same thing happen when I applied for a checking account with Southern Federal Credit Union. I already had a savings, vacation club, Christmas club and a former loan (paid in full 2013) with them they pulled a hard inqury on my credit when I applied for the secured loan. I am monitoring my credit with Equifax, Lexington Law, Creditkarma and they are showing me that the several (many) inquiries a damaging my score.

Is there anything that I can do to improve that part of my credit report?

Can I get the Credit Unions to delete the inquiries since I did not authorize them to pull my credit because I was no appling for any credit product through them?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hard inquries vs soft inquries

@TwoBeFree wrote:

I applied for a new savings account with Georgia Own Credit Union they did a hard pull on my Equifax report. Is there any way that I can get this inqury removed or changed to a soft pull? I also had the same thing happen when I applied for a checking account with Southern Federal Credit Union. I already had a savings, vacation club, Christmas club and a former loan (paid in full 2013) with them they pulled a hard inqury on my credit when I applied for the secured loan. I am monitoring my credit with Equifax, Lexington Law, Creditkarma and they are showing me that the several (many) inquiries a damaging my score.

Is there anything that I can do to improve that part of my credit report?

Can I get the Credit Unions to delete the inquiries since I did not authorize them to pull my credit because I was no appling for any credit product through them?

You have no standing to force them to delete the hard pulls, somewhere in the paperwork for the accounts you apped for is the section that allows them to pull your credit, all you can do is ask them to recode to SP. I doubt that the inquiries alone are causing score problems. You should always ask if a credit report will be pulled and that gives you the opportunity to walk away. I personally walk from institutions that want CRs for checking/savings/CD/Etc accounts.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.