cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard pull on opening a checking account?

tag
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hard pull on opening a checking account?

BoA is a hard pull now a days. I found this out in January.
Message 11 of 13
webrobby
Established Member

I already had a Wells Fargo business checking account - from before the merger with Wachovia.  I opened up a second business checking account and they did a hard pull on Equifax!  Pissed.

No one at the bank is even sure if this is the policy or not - some say it is - others say its not.  I have filed a complaint with CFPB (no choice but to get a straight answer) and will report back when I get a firm answer.  This seems like a silly thing to do when I didnt apply for credit with the bank - just a DDA!

Message 12 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 604 provides, as a permissible purpose, recepit of a credit report if the consumer has initiated a business transaction, and that transaction has a legitimate associated need to evaluate a consumer's credit history.  Checking accounts can result in potential loss to their business, and thus are routinely accepted as having a legitimate busniess purpose.

A person who has permissible purpose under any section of FCRA 604 need not advise the consumer that they may pull your credit report, and it does not need any pre-authorixation by the consumer.  The entire purpose of sectin 604 is to promote the easy evaluation of business or credit transactions without having to first obtain specific authorization from the consumer.  It's listing a a permissible purpose gives rise to their authorization.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.