cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard to rebuild with Chexsystems Advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard to rebuild with Chexsystems Advice?

I had the same thing happen to me in 2011 with US Bank.. The atm I was using had a crack in the screen and buttons that would stick.. I once deposited $200 and when I was typing the amount in I guess I hit 20.. I called and they assured me it would all be fine.. Well later down the road I go to deposit $40 and hit $400.. I figured like before all would be fine.. Payday comes so I call to see what my direct deposit was and my account was closed due to "atm fraud" . They took my direct deposit and paid off the balance on my credit card I had with them and closed all accounts.. I believe I got a check from them weeks later of what was left from my paycheck. Such BS!! So I say screw them and I go to citi who says they can't open because I was in chex systems.. I didn't even know what that was at the time.. So I had quit banking altogether for 4 yrs and then last year I opened a second chance account with wells fargo it was converted to a regular checking after 6 months. The only difference between the accounts is that I wasn't allowed to do atm withdrawals with the second chance account.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's about how I felt too. I had looked into 2nd chance accounts and all the places near me told me no or that there would be a fee. I have no problem getting a regular checking account I actually just opened one with another CU 2 months ago but I really wanted this one because it has a $150 sign up bonus. I also just App'd for a basic savings under a referral bonus with NFCU and was selected for a security check I hope they let me join.
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Negative Chex reports drop off after 5 years.  Some places have internal scoring and such and some places will blacklist you forever if you burn them but other places won't know what was on a Chex report after it falls off.

However, after that guy you spoke to treated you that way, I'm not so sure I'd personally be that interested in using them.  That's just crummy.

If you're really looking for an account like now, before your Chex report falls off, see if you have something like a Second Chance account or something.  Some of them are half decent.  

I have the same feeling on that. I'd even consider having my SO move her business to another CU. And I would let them know exactly why.

Message 13 of 14
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Banks are weird. I had a charged off checking account with chase. They sent it to Chex systems. About a year or two later, I decided I wanted to try back with chase. Applied for the account, and was instantly approved. It's been years now and I still have the same Premier Plus checking account eith them. No maintenance fee and it's definitely not their second chance account. I've still not paid the charged off account, and I've never had anything mentioned about it except from a local credit union who denied me a savings account because of "account abuse" at Chase. They didn't have much to say when I told them I still bank at chase. Chex systems isn't an end. It's a hurdle. There's ways around it.
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.