Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harvard Collections DV'ed and Removed!

tag
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Harvard Collections DV'ed and Removed!

Hey guys...

I've seen some posts about Harvard Collections sending several folks letters in the last few months in regards to a bunch of old Sprint accounts.  I received one as well for over $530 and when I originally DV'ed it, they sent me a printout of something that looked nothing like an actual bill, just with Sprint's name and some total due.

I replied to their letter again as several folks noted asking for a full verification (not just a printout) including something showing an itemized breakdown of expenses, proof that I agreed to the service, and that I received the service.  

The address they mentioned in the letter was valid, but it was during a time when I was in college.  The debt was supposed to have been nearly 3 years after I graduated.  This obviously was not correct so I asked them to prove this.  

I recieved a response today from Harvard saying "At the request of our client, the above referenced account has been colsed by Harvard Collection Services.  Please be assured that this account will be deleted from your credit report, and your credit record will no longer reflect this information."

This is still currently reporting, so I'm going to wait a month or so to see if it's actually removed.  But just wanted to pass a note along for anyone else who might also be dealing with Harvard.  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Harvard Collections DV'ed and Removed!

Hey, I'm having the same problem with these guys. Would you mind giving me a redacted copy of the letter you used and the address you sent it to? There are a lot of people on here that Harvard has done this to, and I also know there were a few people ready to sue. Maybe they have finally figured out that they need to obey the law!! Care to share?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So in this case you don't actually owe the debt, correct? 

I'm dealing with them right now as well but I now that I owe what they're telling me I do so I plan on PIF.  I sent them a PFD letter and they responded with a letter telling me they're willing to "settle" and will stop all collection activity (by settle I mean they want full payment).  This isn't the same thing as agreeing to delete so I will respond.

Message 3 of 6
RadioRob
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey, I'm having the same problem with these guys. Would you mind giving me a redacted copy of the letter you used and the address you sent it to? There are a lot of people on here that Harvard has done this to, and I also know there were a few people ready to sue. Maybe they have finally figured out that they need to obey the law!! Care to share?

I used something very similar to the one posted by HappyDays in the post at:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=rebuildingcredit&message.id=53289&query.id=254059#M53289

Regarding where I sent it to...  I used the primary address listed on their website:

http://www.harvardcollect.com/contact.asp

I sent it CMRRR and received a reply about a week later.  Coincidentally  the TL has not yet been removed from my report, however I'm going to wait 45 days.  If it is still not removed, I will dispute it with the CRAs and send a copy of the letter from them saying they would remove it.  

Message 4 of 6
RadioRob
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So in this case you don't actually owe the debt, correct? 

I'm dealing with them right now as well but I now that I owe what they're telling me I do so I plan on PIF.  I sent them a PFD letter and they responded with a letter telling me they're willing to "settle" and will stop all collection activity (by settle I mean they want full payment).  This isn't the same thing as agreeing to delete so I will respond.

I personally always suggest validating the debt regardless just to make sure the CA that is contacting you is still authorized to collect on the account (and that it has not been sold to another CA, etc for example).  

The DV letter does not need to be anything elaborate...  just something that says you would like them to validate the debt as required by the FCRA.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would think so, right? However, when I DV'd Harvard the first time, they sent me that crappy little printout that shows that I had an account in 2007, not a bill, but I absolutely did not. They are still on all 3 CR's and they validated when I disputed. How many times should a person have to DV before they actually get what they ask for. Seeing that you did it a second time and got the desired results, I will try again. Then I guess the only option is BBB, FTC, and AG.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.