Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harvard Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Harvard Collections

Hello my FICO friends,

I sent 7 DV letters and one of them was for Harvard collection. I received a letter from them yesterday and they validated with some sort of printout from Sprint - it looked like a computer print out. What should I do? I used the DV letter from this forum, any input would be great!!

Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Re: Harvard Collections

Here is the actual letter i sent to Harvard Collections, its a little different than the Lonnster DV! Good Luck!

Dear Harvard Collections,

I'm sure you know, under FDCPA Section 809 (b), you are not allowed to pursue collection activity until the debt is validated. You should be made aware that in TWYLA BOATLEY, Plaintiff, vs. DIEM CORPORATION, No. CIV 03-0762 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF ARIZONA, 2004, the courts ruled that reporting a collection account indeed is considered collection activity.

I received a response to my request for debt validation from you dated May 8, 2008. However, the response you sent did not validate the debt; as it was lacking in several key aspects. I look forward to an uneventful resolution of this matter. I request that all contact with me be in writing, and only when you can provide adequate validation of this alleged debt. To refresh your memory on what constitutes legal validation, I am giving a list of the required documentation:

•Complete payment history, the requirement of which has been established via Spears v Brennan 745 N.E.2d 862; 2001 Ind. App. LEXIS 509.

•Agreement that bears the signature of the alleged debtor wherein they agreed to pay the original creditor.

•Letter of sale or assignment from the original creditor to your company. (Agreement with your client that grants you the authority to collect on this alleged debt.) Coppola v. Arrow Financial Services, 302CV577, 2002 WL 32173704(D.Conn., Oct. 29, 2002) - Information relating to the purchase of a bad debt is not proprietary or burdensome. Debtor must phrase their request clearly to obtain: The source of a debt and the amount a bad debt buyer paid for plaintiff's debt, how amount sought was calculated, where in issue a list of reports to credit bureaus, and documents conferring authority on defendant to collect debt.

•Intimate knowledge of the creation of the debt by you, the collection agency.

If the above mentioned documentation can not be provided within the 30 day period of time that began when you received my original request for debt validation, which you signed for on May 1, 2008, via Certified Mail/Return Receipt Requested; I expect all reference to this account be deleted from my credit reports (Equifax, Transunion, and Experian) as this entry and any update of such entry will be considered in violation.

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you saying that this account is not yours?  Or something is reporting incorrectly?

If they validated a legitimate account, then you have to decide if you want to pay, or try PFD.

Message 2 of 6
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Do you believe the document is actually from Sprint even if its a copy or a printout? Is there any information on the document pertaining to the CA? If its a regular bill or copy of agreement or statement of debt on the OCs letterhead etc, then its quite likely that the OC provided that document to the CA and thus proper validation.

Theres a small chance too though that someone at the CA got fresh at the computer over beer and lunch.

Message 3 of 6
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

I dealt with these scumbags, and they sent the same thing when i was dealing with them, i honestly believe they type up their own letterheads, claiming they are from sprint!

To the OP, i believe i sent two DV letters and then disputed with the CRA's, every last one of them deleted!

Message 4 of 6
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Here is the actual letter i sent to Harvard Collections, its a little different than the Lonnster DV! Good Luck!

Dear Harvard Collections,

I'm sure you know, under FDCPA Section 809 (b), you are not allowed to pursue collection activity until the debt is validated. You should be made aware that in TWYLA BOATLEY, Plaintiff, vs. DIEM CORPORATION, No. CIV 03-0762 UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF ARIZONA, 2004, the courts ruled that reporting a collection account indeed is considered collection activity.

I received a response to my request for debt validation from you dated May 8, 2008. However, the response you sent did not validate the debt; as it was lacking in several key aspects. I look forward to an uneventful resolution of this matter. I request that all contact with me be in writing, and only when you can provide adequate validation of this alleged debt. To refresh your memory on what constitutes legal validation, I am giving a list of the required documentation:

•Complete payment history, the requirement of which has been established via Spears v Brennan 745 N.E.2d 862; 2001 Ind. App. LEXIS 509.

•Agreement that bears the signature of the alleged debtor wherein they agreed to pay the original creditor.

•Letter of sale or assignment from the original creditor to your company. (Agreement with your client that grants you the authority to collect on this alleged debt.) Coppola v. Arrow Financial Services, 302CV577, 2002 WL 32173704(D.Conn., Oct. 29, 2002) - Information relating to the purchase of a bad debt is not proprietary or burdensome. Debtor must phrase their request clearly to obtain: The source of a debt and the amount a bad debt buyer paid for plaintiff's debt, how amount sought was calculated, where in issue a list of reports to credit bureaus, and documents conferring authority on defendant to collect debt.

•Intimate knowledge of the creation of the debt by you, the collection agency.

If the above mentioned documentation can not be provided within the 30 day period of time that began when you received my original request for debt validation, which you signed for on May 1, 2008, via Certified Mail/Return Receipt Requested; I expect all reference to this account be deleted from my credit reports (Equifax, Transunion, and Experian) as this entry and any update of such entry will be considered in violation.

Message 5 of 6
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

I sent them a DV from a sprint bill-   which had been palced on my credit reports less than 2 months prior to the DV letter.  Never heard anything back, but they were immediately deleted from them LOL

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.