Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone Heard Of.....

tag
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Has anyone Heard Of.....

Okay I keep getting this call from CRA I think that maybe their name.  When they contact me they never leave a name are will not tell me who they are. Their number is 18647241363.  They call me in the middle of the night and let the phone ring maybe once or twice and then hang up. They are not calling my house phone the are calling my cell phone they are very mean and rude and have my ss# and let me no that they will use it to ruin my credit. They told me that I owe someone but did not tell me who has anyone else heard of this company?

Starting Score: EQ: 583 TU: 623
Current Score: EQ: 624 TU: 701
Goal Score: Both Scores 680 Plus!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone Heard Of.....

Here is what I found when I "googled" that phone number:

http://www.consumerjustice.com/consumer/agencydetail.aspx?id=5319
Consumer Recovery Associates  
2697 International Pkwy
Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23452

dmin@consumerrewcovery.com
www.consumerrecovery.com

Mod Cut!

This is a friendly reminder to future posters in this thread. Please be sure to use the forum's PM (private message) system if you're going to share the names, contact numbers and email addresses of company workers and officials. We are not allowed to share our personal info and that of others in the public forums. To use the PM system, scroll to the top of the screen and look for a small envelop and click on it. It will be yellow if you have new messages and white if you don't. Another way to send a forum member a PM is to click on the forum member's name, look on their profile page on the right, then click on the link send this user a private message. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or another mod.

Thank you all for your contributions and cooperation! 

--fused, myFICO moderator

Aliases Other Locations  

CIA and Associates CC Associates Consumer Credit Association Consumer Recovery Associates Court Company CR Associates C&R Associates C & R Associates
*135 Interstate Blvd. Suite 8 Greenville, SC 29615  

Notes
No license or bond found. Threats of issuing bogus 1099C's on out of statute debts. This appears to be a consumer scam.

Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If I recall correctly, there are other posts about similar situations.  I can't remember if it is the same company.

At any rate, whoever it is, they are in violation of the FDCPA on so many levels.

Do not talk to them anymore.  Note when they call, date, time, etc. 

I would not be too concerned at this point.  They are making idol threats.  Even for a ruthless CA, this goes above and beyond stupidity on their part.

I would take all the information you have and file complaints with the FTC, BBB and your states AG office.

Message 3 of 7
savmeformyse
Valued Member

Thanks I was also thinking of filling a police report at this point I am being harassed and they have my SS so they can do whatever they choose with my info.  I don't owe them anything I no everything  I owe. I don't have anything that could go to collections so I have a clue as to what this is about,. For some crazy reason I can't help but to worry I have done so much to get things removed I just don't want to go through this again.

Starting Score: EQ: 583 TU: 623
Current Score: EQ: 624 TU: 701
Goal Score: Both Scores 680 Plus!

Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Multiple FDCPA violations!  WOW!

FDCPA 805(a) states:

"Without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collectior of express permission of a court of competent jusrisdiction, a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt-

(1) at any unusual time or place or a time or place known or should be known to be inconvenienct to the consumer.

In the absence of knowledge of circumatances to the contrary, a debt collector shall assume that the convenient time for communication

with the consumer is after 8 o'clock AM, and before 9 o'clock PM, local time at the consumer's location."

FDCPA 806(2), (5) and (6) state:

"A debt collector may not engage in any conduct the natural consequences of which it to harass, oppress, or abuse any person in connection with the the collection of a debt.  Without limiting the general applications of the forgoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:

(2) the use of obscene of profance language or language the natuural consequences of which is to abuse the hearer or reader.    

(5) causing a telephone to ring or engaging any person in telephone conversation repeatedly of continuously with the intent

to annoy, abuse,or harass any person at the called nimder.

(6) except as provided under section 804 (which relates only to contacts with third parties), the placement of telephone calls without

meaningful disclosure of the caller's identity."

If they are in your credit report or have sent you a collection (dunning) notice, then you should have their correspondence address.

Send them a cease and desist all communications letter under FDCPA 805(b) and (c).

If they are NOT in your credit report, or have not yet provided you collection (dunning) notice, then their very first call to you was an "inintial communication" with you under FDCPA 809(a),which triggered their legal obligation to have provided you dunning notice with 5-days.So they also be in violation of FDCPA 809(a).

That is an extremely serious violation of the FDCPA.  The main intent of the FDCPA is to permit you to address the asserted collection activities of debt collectors with knowledge of their identity.  Conducting debt collection activities without clear advisement of their identity, and your rights to contest those activities, is the heart of what the FDCPA protects.  You should not be forced to surf around the net, or come to sites such as this, to try to find out who they are.

A letter of complaint with the FTC is definately warranted.  So send one.  However, to be honest, the FTC is not noted for prompt or serious action on individual consumer complaints. So so dont expect any immediate assistance from them.  Contact with your state AG might, if they are currently invesitgation similar complaints, get more immediate action by the state, without you having to handle it all yourself by independent civil action.

I like the additional idea of filing a police repport.  Tell the police you are have no knowledge of any debt with this harassing party, and thus you assert their communications violate federal law, and further alledge the specific violations of the above-referenced sections of federal law, even if the alleged debt had been yours.

The police  will probably have NO idea what you are talking about, but must take your report.  Put a copy of that police report in your files.  That will become very useful if and when you choose to bring any civil action against the debt collector.  PARTICULARLY if they then post to your CR. 

If they do post to your CR, then you can take that police report (called an "identity theft report" under FCRA 603(q)), and file it with the CRAs under 605B, along with your statement that the information is not related to any transction with you.  This will requrie the CRA to then block that posted information from your CR.

Message 6 of 7
CanOnlyGetBetter
New Contributor

If this is a scam and the calls keep coming from the same number, have your cell company block the number.  That will at least make them go away.  Then just keep a close eye on your CRs.

Starting Score: TU: 606 EQ: 600
Current Score: TU: 658 EQ: 661
2011 Goal Score: 750

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.