cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever had luck getting late payments removed from student loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone ever had luck getting late payments removed from student loans?

I originally posted this on the student loans forum, however, that place is a like a funeral home.Smiley Very Happy 

I have a few late payments on my Perkins loan and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever had any luck getting late payments deleted.

I thought about offering to PIF (1150.00 left) in order for them to delete the late payments.  The late payments took place in 2004.  Also, I have considered calling them to see versus the GW letter.

If any forum members have ever had success I would appreciate your story.

Thanks in advance--TheTaxMan

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone ever had luck getting late payments removed from student loans?

I have read before that it will be VERY hard to get lates removed from a Government backed student loan....but it's worth a try...just send a GW letter...
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have also read that its harder to GW when the account is still open, so you could try to PIF first, then GW.  I'm going to try to GW some of my wife's paid SLs.  We'll see what happens.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm battling it out with William D. Ford Direct Loans right now.  I have ONE late from 2003 in the 60 day column, and I've good willed them over and over, and NOTHING.  My last letter cc'd the BBB and FTC, but the BBB came back and said they could not help me with it at all.  Oh well...

I keep trying.  The good think is that the account shows current and in good standing, the bad thing is that it goes straight to the derogatory section on the credit report.

I'm going to fight this thing tooth and nail - they had only been reporting the 60 day lates on Transunion, so I thought there was a mistake and asked them about it....sure enough they whacked the 60 day late onto EX and EQ....so I went from having two decent reports to having one more in the derogatory category.  So I'm fighting it on the basis of it being bad business.

I have no idea if I have a leg to stand on with them, but I'm going to fight like heck for the late to come off.  I'd say, just keep at it.

Message 4 of 7
thotgal320
Frequent Contributor

I have been trying for a year now and nothing.  They will not budgeand my lates are 4 years old.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on who the loans are through. 

If they are from the US Dept of Edu, then it will be extremely challenging. A few people here have GW'd the lates and been 100% successful. I've sent only one GW myself and they deleted the lates from Experian but not the other two - I've heard they do that to ease the blow of being so **bleep** about lates (delete from one and not the other two). 

Either way, good luck!  
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the replies to this message

I am going to keep plugging away and see what happens in the end.  As always I will keep you guys posted.

TheTaxMan

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.