cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever heard of or possess an Open Sky Secured Visa card? Attempting to rebuild my credit!

tag
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever heard of or possess an Open Sky Secured Visa card? Attempting to rebuild my cred

pmatt1 wrote:

Here's the new link. I just got approved for one.

https://www.openskycc.com/

do you know if this secured card goes unsecured? I couldn't find any info about this on their website No it doesnt go to unsecured, if you want your deposit back you have to close the card with 0 balance.

Starting Score: TU-470 4/11/19, EQ-482 4/11/19, EX-486 4/11/19
Current Score: TU-507 7/18/19, EQ-517 7/18/19, EX-508 7/18/19
Goal Score: TU-700, EQ-700, EX-700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 27
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever heard of or possess an Open Sky Secured Visa card? Attempting to rebuild my cred

Ok I applied for both the Cap one and the Sky blue ( thanks Doc2be)..... surprise surprise I was approved for both, lol! One thing that suck is I didn't read the Cap one's features closely so I didn't notice till after I was approved that they set your deposit amounts, I thought I could just choose to deposit $49 instead of another 200 bucks. But they determine your deposit amount Smiley Sad Well I can't wait to get my cards, and I will update in a month or so and let everyone know how the cards worked for me. Thanks for all your advice!

Message 12 of 27
HamInaCan
Established Member

I am wondering if Open Sky Blue reports to the CRA's as Secured, or there is no connotation. I checked their web site and unless I missed it, I didn't see anything about that. If anyone knows please let me know.

Many people say it does not matter, but it does. I have had a manual review of my credit file once and they took issue and charged me higher interest rate because one card (positive tradeline) was a secured card by BOA.

Thanks!

Message 13 of 27
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

@HamInaCan wrote:

I am wondering if Open Sky Blue reports to the CRA's as Secured, or there is no connotation. I checked their web site and unless I missed it, I didn't see anything about that. If anyone knows please let me know.

Many people say it does not matter, but it does. I have had a manual review of my credit file once and they took issue and charged me higher interest rate because one card (positive tradeline) was a secured card by BOA.

Thanks!

ok, I found this paragraph and towards the middle it says something like they report like a regular revolving credit account:

An Open Sky Secured Visa® Credit Card from Capital Bank could help you with all three major components of your credit score. First, Capital Bank reports the Open Sky Secured Visa® Credit Card to all three major credit bureaus as a revolving credit card account, just like any other credit card account. This adds an account or trade line to your credit report. Keep your usage of the credit limit to an amount under 30% of the credit limit; make on-time payments every month and keep your card open for a length of time will all be reported to all three major credit bureaus. Credit score improvement does not happen overnight but handling your Open Sky Secured Visa® Credit Card as described above could build the good credit history which will make a big positive difference to your financial future

Edited to re-format the text. - llecs, myFICO moderator

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good find izzesparks, I overlooked that detail because that was one of the things that I was interested in knowning as well. I think that answer's the question but it would be nice to get a confirmation from someone who currently has the card.

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband has the Public Savings Visa (he opened it over a year ago before the change). It is reported like a "regular" credit card. There's no flag for it being a secured card, which is why he chose that one. I'm not sure if there are new guidelines, but as a current user of the former version, I can say that it's not flagged or denoted as a secured card.

Message 16 of 27
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for confirming that @ blue_green!!

Message 17 of 27
PapasWifey
Regular Contributor

So i decided to open this cc, which i got last week. i'm done app'ing as i just got 3 new cc's (open sky, unsecured orchard, and cap 1 AU).

Does anyone know when Open Sky reports to the CRA's? is it after the statement date, at the end of the month, etc?

Starting Score: 576 EQ 1-12-13
Current Score: 588 EQ 2-3-13
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 27
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

I am not sure yet. I still havent received my card Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 27
AFreshStart
Regular Contributor

I hope your card comes soon. I seen a rush shipping option on there as a feature so I assumed it naturally took a while. I'm glad to see that this card is available though. When I save another thousand this will be my next card.
Starting Scores Nov 17: 581(EQ) 571(TU) 563(EX)
Cap One VentureOne 5k, Discover 2k, Amex Delta Gold 1k, Amex SPG 1k, Capital One 500,
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.