cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever successfully had a late payment removed with a goodwill letter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone ever successfully had a late payment removed with a goodwill letter?

In the 8 years I've had students loans, I have one 60-day late and the rest of the payments have been on time. That was 13 months ago but it is really dragging my credit down. I'm not disputing the fact that they were late...I had deferred the payments during a period of unemployment and had no knowledge that the deferrment had passed. I want to send a letter asking them to delete it based on the fact that it was obviously an anomaly, but I don't know if it will work. I wrote one letter before to a creditor, and they informed me that it was against the Fair Credit and Reporting Act because they have to report everything accurately. How do you respond to that? I know they can legally and ethically remove the late payment if they want to.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
CreditRepairGirl23
New Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever successfully had a late payment removed with a goodwill letter?

Hi, I had much luck with goodwill letters. Best advice I got was to KEEP trying! Just because one person says no, another rep might say yes!

Persistence pays off. Be very kind and polite but PERSISTANT.

Also having a good contact can be key , Google for a contact name - search this site etc.

Start a thread asking for help , I was able to get a name and email contact for some of the companies I had to deal with via the helpful members of this site.

Good Luck! and keep us posted!!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.