Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have 9K. Debt pay-off strategy?

tag
mschang
Regular Contributor

Have 9K. Debt pay-off strategy?

been here a short time and GW'd my way to a much better score! CR is soooooo much cleaner since the reported FICO in my siggy; waiting until next month to refresh official FICO scores -- $40 for those!!!

i just need to fix the result of ignoring collection calls (and my credit in general) for years with the goal of buying a house in early 2014 via VA loan but with a down payment.

i am getting a 9K bonus next month and have another 2K that i can throw at my debt. i have no CC debt and just have a car note, rent, and SL payment. any advice on how to attack these last remaining baddies would be greatly appreciated: what order/prioritization, etc.

I make a decent salary and can comfortably do 1K a month to continue paying these down.

thanks in advance!

4 Citibank private student loans totalling 45K (govt loans rehabbed) due to drop off January 2017

(I'm sure I'll have to beg for a repayment plan for this one)

Macys due to drop off May 2017, no CA yet

$715

BMW Financial balance of repo due to drop off March 2017, no CA yet

$9,865

SL direct from the university due to fall off June 2015, no CA (yet!!)

$7,948 with $2,806 past due

DSNB Macys Visa due to drop off May 2015, no CA on my CR

$3,436 but got an offer from CA for 50%

(Think they'll PFD if I accept? I actually want to work directly with DSNB)

EAS CA (originally for Chase CC who also reports on my CR) due to drop off October 2014

$2,122

Starting Score: EQ FICO 588 EX FICO 587 TU FICO 588
Current Score: EQ FICO 660 EX FICO 642 TU FICO 606
Goal Score: 680
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Have 9K. Debt pay-off strategy?

I'd start by looking at the statute of limitations ( SOL ) in your state of residence to know where you stand if your creditors decide to file a lawsuit against you.    Creditors with out of SOL debt might be more inclined to accept a settlement.   

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
mschang
Regular Contributor

i live in california which has 4 years SOL for written contracts. however, except for the BMW, all accounts were opened in new york (SOL 6 years).

so it looks like i should lowball DSNB and EAS to delete or settle then GW.

macy's is low so i'll just PIF for PFD.

pay BMW in full for PFD or GW after?

i'll post this in the SL section because i wonder if, because the loan was directly from the university, it still falls into the "they can hunt you down forever" category...

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If a mortgage is in your plans prior to their normal CR exclusion dates, satisfying unpaid delinquent debt will most likely be a prerequisite for loan approval.

Check out the lendor's requirements.

You have time to first seek PFDs, which will both satisfy the debt and help FICO score, so I would begin PFD offers first.

Your "backup" plan, should they decline PFDs, might be determined by your loan officer.

Message 4 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@mschang wrote:

i'll post this in the SL section because i wonder if, because the loan was directly from the university, it still falls into the "they can hunt you down forever" category...

Are your student loans private or federal ?  I believe that makes a difference regarding the SOL.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 8
mschang
Regular Contributor

had no idea these were govt loans and totally rehab-able. love this forum!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Student-Loans/SL-direct-from-school/td-p/1489132

Message 6 of 8
mschang
Regular Contributor

have a plan but please send any advice or comments you have. if all goes well i may be able to buy a house before 2014...

4 Citibank private student loans totalling 45K (govt loans rehabbed) due to drop off January 2017

will call to set up payment arrangement -- crossing fingers that they will work with me and not sue

Macys due to drop off May 2017 (reviewed CR; drop-off date is actually 2015), no CA yet $715

out of SOL so sending letter to PFD for 50%. offer 100% to PFD if initial offer is rejected

BMW Financial balance of repo due to drop off March 2017, no CA yet $9,865

out of SOL next year. will call once my bonus is in my bank account to PFD. otherwise settle then GW

SL direct from the university due to fall off June 2015, no CA (yet!!) $7,948 with $2,806 past due

calling school to rehab, but very tempted to just pay past due amount and restart payments to start the "OK" monthly status reports immediately! feel like this will get me in a house sooner.

forum posts say perkins loans never PFD

DSNB Macys Visa due to drop off May 2015, no CA on my CR $3,436 but got an offer from CA for 50%

out of SOL so sending letter directly to DSNB to PFD for 50%. if denied, try to settle for 50% then GW; i want to pay off repo

EAS CA (originally for Chase CC who also reports on my CR) due to drop off October 2014

$2,122

out of SOL as of last year so sending letter to PFD for 50%. if denied, try to settle for 50% then GW; i want to pay off repo

send email to Chase CEO once paid. there are a number of posts from people who have had GW success with Chase after paying collection

Message 7 of 8
mschang
Regular Contributor

EAS is off all three CRs without a peep from them!

i offered 50% PFD last month but it looks like they didn't even want to bother.

5 more to go...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.