Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have No Idea what Im doing.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have No Idea what Im doing.

Hello.

I am 27 frustrated and upset with my credit scores..Admittedly,I have no made the best financial decisions but I now want to correct these issues and get my life on track before the age of 32(I have a 5 year plan). I have no Idea where to start but I pulled my credit report and its has 15 negatives on it. Ive paid off some of the debts but I still owe on some, and on some of the debts ive paid,they are still showing up on my credit report. I really dont want to mess this up as I try to rebuild my credit on my own. So my first question is, what is the correct way for me to start this process? Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Have No Idea what Im doing.

Lay out your CR, and look at it in terms of derogatory items rather than accounts.

List each derogatory item by type and date.  For example, 30 late in 3/2005, 60 late in 4/2005, charge-off in 3/2007, collection in 2/2008, etc.etc...

Then, based on the type of derog and its date, associate each with its required credit report exclusion date.  If a collection or charge off, that will require that you identify the date of first delinquency (DOFD) on the OC account upon which the charge-off or collection occured.  Finally, the payment status of each debt.

Then come back to the site for specific information on how to deal with each.  That simple listing of derogs and their dates is the essential starting point.  Without it, a specific plan is not possible.

Message 2 of 6
John060675
Valued Contributor

Robert is spot on with his advice.  One more thing though, do not get overwhelmed.  15 negatives are not the end of the world.  Trust me, I know from personal experience.  It will take a little time, but make a game plan.  You have taken your first step towards improving your credit.

Good luck!

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Lay out your CR, and look at it in terms of derogatory items rather than accounts.

List each derogatory item by type and date.  For example, 30 late in 3/2005, 60 late in 4/2005, charge-off in 3/2007, collection in 2/2008, etc.etc...

Then, based on the type of derog and its date, associate each with its required credit report exclusion date.  If a collection or charge off, that will require that you identify the date of first delinquency (DOFD) on the OC account upon which the charge-off or collection occured.  Finally, the payment status of each debt.

Then come back to the site for specific information on how to deal with each.  That simple listing of derogs and their dates is the essential starting point.  Without it, a specific plan is not possible.

I didnt get all the info on the accounts but here you go..

ACCELERATED FINANCIAL-Date of First Delinquency: 08/2006 collection account

CREDIT ONE BANK-Date of First Delinquency: 05/2006 ,status-charge off

CVF CONSUMER ACQUISITION C-Date of First Delinquency: 06/2006-collection account

FIRST NATIONAL BANK-Date of First Delinquency: 11/2009,charged off account

FIRST PREMIER-Date of First Delinquency: 04/2006,charged off account

JEFFERSON CAPITAL LLC-04/2005,collection account

METABANK/INDIGO-11/2009,charged off account

There are are from a old Credit Report from last year

Applied Bank-Estimated date this Item will be Removed- 01-2013

Bard and Associates-Collection Account-Estimated Removal 11/2010

National Credit Solution-Collection Account-Estitmated Removal-05/14

Palisades Collectio LLC-Collection Account-Scheduled from Removal 01-2012

I hope that is a good start for help!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive also found that I have student loan payments that have been counted as negative because they say ive missed payments but they were deferred. They are all different loans from the same lender... Can I dispute these?

Message 5 of 6
2NE1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ive also found that I have student loan payments that have been counted as negative because they say ive missed payments but they were deferred. They are all different loans from the same lender... Can I dispute these?

You should check out the STUDENT LOANS forum... I believe you would have to call your student loan dept. and have them update your lates since you were deferred at the time. You should gather all your paperwork in case they ask for the letter where they're stating your deferment time frame and the reasons, ex. financial hardship, back in school, etc. They shouldn't have updated it as late. However, they do suggest that you make at least small payments towards the your private loans when you're on deferment.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.