Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a few collections, what to do, where to start, etc:

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a few collections, what to do, where to start, etc:

I have a few medical collections.  Two are with a CA here locally.  They told me it was for emergency room visits, that the $50 co-pays were never paid.  Is there any HIPPA violations there?  I've tried to find answers to this allready by searching the boards but couldn't find enough info to help me.  This CA told me that they had a few other $20 ones from the same hospital and that they couldn't report on CRA's because it was below $50.  These are all co-pays that were supposed to be picked up by a secondary insurance when my little girl was in the hospital back in 2003-2004.  I've went round and round with the insurance companies and the hospital in the past and got nowhere so I just had to let it go because I had to keep my focus on helping my girl get better.  So now, these are all in collections.  Recently this month, I've received another alert for PNI on my EX report, I checked it out and it states it's from IC Systems, states it is a collection that was original amount $20, and that the amount owed now is $80!  I'm assuming the CA just tacked on a $50 fee so that they could "legally" report it on my CR!  errrrrr!  It says the original creditor is the same hospital but the name listed is the internal Radiology department of the hosptial which has their own specific name but within the same hospital.
The other two with the different CA that is $50 each, says the name of the hosptial and ER at the end.

Anything I should do about these?

Another question, last year I had an appendectomy at another local hosptial.  We had a $500 co-pay that of course, at that time was probably one of the worst times financially for us, we didn't have it.  Planned on paying in payments to the hospital but time got away from us and it ended up in collections.....well, the service was done on me...but the collection ended up on my hubby's report because he is the inital insurance subscriber so they billed in his name.  He's made a few payments and got it down to $375 now, but we really want to get it deleted from CR because we really want to be in a position to get a small house in 6 months.  I wonder if I try to contact the hospital and explain that it was mine and to send a bill for the remainder in my name and take it off his report, if they would do that and how would I go about asking?  We would only be using his credit for a house, not mine, so I really don't care right now if they have to post it on my CR....I'd rather them not since, I'm trying to clean up my report too, but hubby's is better than mine right now anyway, but it would be so much better if we could get some errors fixed and get this one medical bill off of his.

Anyway, sorry this is so long.....but I hope I can find some answers as to where to start with this...I'm such a newbie I just don't know.....Thanks to all! :-)

Message Edited by Lullaby on 08-06-2008 12:21 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have a few medical collections, what to do:

Smiley Sad Bumping up....sorry I just need help!
Message 2 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and Welcome! Please read the first thread to get some background information on how med collections are handled differently than other collections.

The process begins with the first letter, the Pre-HIPAA letter. Do not communicate the CA!

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Usually, an OC will not discuss the debt once they have placed it into collection.  They hired the CA because they did not want to be troubled with it, and that is what they are paying the CA to do.  You can try contacting the OC, but I would not expect any results.
Message 4 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

RobertEG wrote:
Usually, an OC will not discuss the debt once they have placed it into collection.  They hired the CA because they did not want to be troubled with it, and that is what they are paying the CA to do.  You can try contacting the OC, but I would not expect any results.

Please read up on the HIPAA laws, specifically the laws that pertain to the OC's business associates, the minimum necassary, protected healthcare information and business purposes (or PP to have PHI). Also, look into the FCRA's laws on how med collections are to be reported. Let's not confuse med collections with other collections!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I think I'm starting to understand more.  Don't contact the CA's at all if it's a medical.  Only send the PreHIPPA letter to CRA's and when that is done and over with and if it's not been deleted, then just send the HIPPA letters to the hospitals for each account with the payment in full, only their names on the check and for deposit only on the back, send CMRR on all.....then once they payment has been taken, send a follow up HIPPA letter to tell them to delete from CR if not allready done so, correct??

This only goes for any medical collection that has the name of the medical facility or any other medical information on the report.  If it just says medical but no name is it ok for the CA to report it that way.  All of mine has the name of the hospitals, but I was just wondering anyway.  Also, what if the OC refuses payment?  Or if they just refuse payment and say they will only accept a payment from the CA, and then they have the CA change the info on the CR to mask the info?  What if that were to happen?  Probably not, but just wondering?  Could I take legal action if that happened?

Thanks. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  Just bumping up to see if I got this all correct or not.  want to make sure before I take any action.  Thanks all! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.