cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a letter from creditor that states they have no knowledge of an account..

tag
ChazR
Established Member

Have a letter from creditor that states they have no knowledge of an account..

I have a collection reporting on my CR that is innacurate. I talked to the Collection agency and they said they have no record of the account. They sent me a letter that states " we are unable to locate an account# **** in our systems". Of course they can't locate it because it does not belong to me. My question is how do I provide this letter to the CRA's to get the account removed? I went onto EX's website but there is no way to upload documentation. Can I email or fax them the documentation for a dispute? Mail is kind of medieval and time consuming. Thanks for any help.

Starting Score: 645
Current Score: 659
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Have a letter from creditor that states they have no knowledge of an account..

Message 2 of 10
cahomebuyer

Re: Have a letter from creditor that states they have no knowledge of an account..

I would dispute it thru the CA online.  They need to get a response from the CA about the "can't find" so they can update their files.

In talking to a lawyer who worked for two of the CA's for years, they don't really scan anything. He told me to always dispute thru the CA so there is a legal record of the dispute.  They should get the same response from the creditor as you did and update your file accordingly.  Having the letter from the creditor will certainly be helpful should you have to take additional legal steps.

Michael & Barbara

Goal: Buy House
Problems: Chase Short Sale, Chase Heloc #1, Chase Heloc #2, Capital 1 C/O
Scores: EQ 676 EXP 688 TU 684
Message 3 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can dispute with the creditor directly and it is just as legal as disputing with the CRAs. 

Message 4 of 10
ChazR
Established Member

Thx for the info. The creditor sent me the letter over 1 month ago and told me they have done everything they can do to remove the collection. It is still being reported as of yesterday. I just want to make sure the CRAs know what are aware the collection is incorrect, hoping they will remove it or at minimum verify the letter with the CA.

Message 5 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@ChazR wrote:
Thx for the info. The creditor sent me the letter over 1 month ago and told me they have done everything they can do to remove the collection. It is still being reported as of yesterday. I just want to make sure the CRAs know what are aware the collection is incorrect, hoping they will remove it or at minimum verify the letter with the CA.

What CA is it??

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 10
cahomebuyer

I would also file a dispute with the Consumer Financial Protection Board, they have an online form.  You have to have first filed a dispute thru the credit agencies.

And yes, legally, you can do it directly with the creditor, however, in order to follow up with any legal action, i.e. lawsuit, according to my lawyer, you have to have a record of filing thru the agencies.  It's their job, and legal responsiblity,  to confirm the information they are being provided is correct.  We can't let them off the hook of just rubber stamping the info they get from any reporting party - they need to be held accountable as its their database info that is being used by everyone to determine our credit-worthyness.  If their database, and in fact that's all it really is, is getting bad info, then they need to fix their database.  

Michael & Barbara

Goal: Buy House
Problems: Chase Short Sale, Chase Heloc #1, Chase Heloc #2, Capital 1 C/O
Scores: EQ 676 EXP 688 TU 684
Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That was true at one time.  It no longer is.  Disputing with the creditor takes the middleman, the CRA out of the equation because they are not really needed and you are more likely to get the issue corrected going directly to the source.

If the creditor doen't follow the direct dispute, which gives them 30 days, just like the CRAs have, they can be sued. 

FCRA 623(a)(8) covers this,

Message 8 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

That was true at one time.  It no longer is.  Disputing with the creditor takes the middleman, the CRA out of the equation because they are not really needed and you are more likely to get the issue corrected going directly to the source.

If the creditor doen't follow the direct dispute, which gives them 30 days, just like the CRAs have, they can be sued. 

FCRA 623(a)(8) covers this,

In addition to the great advice listed above, you do not need to dispute with the CRAs or the CA to file a CFPB dispute. They just WANT you to. 

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 9 of 10
ChazR
Established Member

The CA is Financial Credit Network. Thx for the feedback above. I will use the suggestions from you all to hopefully get this corrected. I am in complete shock at how easy it is for a Creditor or in this case CA to report whatever they want to the CRA without any dialogue from the consumer. It is completely one sided and should be a conflict of interest. And why can't I just send communication into a CRA to have it removed immediately like it was applied. I needed to get a loan this past weak and the bank alerted me about the Collection. Ranting a bit here but the process needs to change.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.