Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have some old medical debts at collection, want to have them cleaned up

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have some old medical debts at collection, want to have them cleaned up

I was the victim of a violent crime back in 2007.  I didn't pay any of the bills because I got a restitution order from the people (convicted) responsible.  However, shockingly, no money has come from them.  While these debts aren't fraudulent, I was wondering if there is a way to get them not counted on my credit since I was not the cause of them.  I have been really stupid, ignoring them, but with houses so cheap now I would like to try and buy one before things get more expensive.  My free credit report says they will drop off of my credit at the end of this year/beginning of the next, and everyone tells me that if I make a payment plan with the companies it will actually hurt my credit.  It feels kinda shady to just ignore these bills, but I don't want my already low credit to drop by bringing them to the forefront of my credit report by negotiating anything with the collection agencies.  I assume that this is no too uncommon a situation (unfortunately), does anyone have any advice/insight, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Have some old medical debts at collection, want to have them cleaned up

You can try for a PFD from the CAs.  This would delete the TL from your CR.  How much are the debts?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had trouble with my old account, had to start another one:

Anyway, they total about 7500.  I can't afford to pay them all, but I could probably scrape up around 3-4k if my tax return goes as planned.  Is it worth even trying to get a PFD if I can't offer them all of the money?  I was thinking maybe I could pay off a couple of them (they are from 4-5 different agencies) in full for deletions, but I don't know how much that would help my credit since I'd still have a couple negatives on there.  Any idea how much my credit would be improved?  I'm at around 630 (TU) right now.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, looking at my credit report, it looks like a couple of the accounts are duplicates.  It seems like the original creditor and the collection agency are both on there.  Is there a way to validate/correct this?  I understand both accounts (the original and the CA) would stay on my credit report, but would it help my credit if the original balance was shown as $0 instead of x dollars?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.