cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever asked for a good will trade line deletion on an accoun that ....

tag
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Have you ever asked for a good will trade line deletion on an accoun that ....

Have you ever asked for a good will trade line deletion on an account that is CLOSED, PAID IN FULL, NO DEROGS?

The scenario would be:

Total AAoA of, lets say, 6 years.

Oldest account, 20 years. 

3 or 4 new accounts, all closed, paid no lates, all with an age under one year.

Now, I know these will continue to report for another ~10 years, plus or minus the whims of the reporting creditor and CRA.  That is not the question.  The question is whether anyone has ever asked for an entirely positive trade line to be removed completely?

Immediate effect is twofold:

1) On manual review, the credit file is, let's say,  "thinner"

2) AAoA is higher, marginally, and in the short term.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Re: Have you ever asked for a good will trade line deletion on an accoun that ....

No replies, the idea must be too far out there.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have you ever asked for a good will trade line deletion on an accoun that ....

Are you proposing closing those new accounts?

I would be leery about closing them. If you've got, say, 10 accounts total, and all are positive, then it shouldn't hurt to delete the new ones. However, if you've only got, say 7 accounts, deleting these four is going to be a substantial hit to the depth of your credit file.

Along the same line of thought, if your older accounts have some negatives, deleting the new positive tradelines, while not affecting your AAoA too much, will affect any manual review of your report. At least, I think it would.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you proposing closing those new accounts?

I would be leery about closing them. If you've got, say, 10 accounts total, and all are positive, then it shouldn't hurt to delete the new ones. However, if you've only got, say 7 accounts, deleting these four is going to be a substantial hit to the depth of your credit file.

Along the same line of thought, if your older accounts have some negatives, deleting the new positive tradelines, while not affecting your AAoA too much, will affect any manual review of your report. At least, I think it would.

OP says the accounts are already closed.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BallBounces wrote:

Have you ever asked for a good will trade line deletion on an account that is CLOSED, PAID IN FULL, NO DEROGS?

The scenario would be:

Total AAoA of, lets say, 6 years.

Oldest account, 20 years. 

3 or 4 new accounts, all closed, paid no lates, all with an age under one year.

Now, I know these will continue to report for another ~10 years, plus or minus the whims of the reporting creditor and CRA.  That is not the question.  The question is whether anyone has ever asked for an entirely positive trade line to be removed completely?

Immediate effect is twofold:

1) On manual review, the credit file is, let's say,  "thinner"

2) AAoA is higher, marginally, and in the short term.

Not a fan of manipulating AAoA, but in my opinion the reasoning is sound - BUT beware of the law of unintented consequenses. These closed positive accounts may help your credit in other ways, that may be less apparent. For instance - FICO dings you for having more negative accounts than positive accounts. If the reports are not clean, I would be VERY wary of having positive accounts removed.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right. Switching between two different threads, oops.

My point still stands in terms of deleting the tradelines.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.