Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a Collection Removed that I Never Knew I Had

tag
thobbs
New Contributor

Having a Collection Removed that I Never Knew I Had

I recently pulled my credit report and saw that a collections was placed on my EQ report in 2/2008 and marked as paid of on 12/2008.  It was for a bill from a propane company that I have dealt with over the past few years.  The amount was for my normal monthly payment.  I have can never remember being late and definitely can not remember being sent to collections or receiving such a notice.  I sent an online dispute request on EQ's website.

However, should I contact the propane company or the collection agency in addition?  Maybe I should have done that first, but I can't cancel the dispute now.  What's even more strange is that the account is and has always been in my wife's name, yet does not show up on her report.  Any advice on how to proceed?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Having a Collection Removed that I Never Knew I Had

I would contact the propane company.  They are reporting and have the power to delete the TL.

Message 2 of 4
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

It sounds like maybe they confused you with someone that has either a similar name or a similar SS#.  Sounds like a clerical error to me.  Call the propane company and get them to look up the payment history on the propane bills.  That should start a resolution right there.

Starting Score: 487
Current Score: Equifax: 586
Experian: 589
Transunion: 602

Overall Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
thobbs
New Contributor

Thank you.  I will be calling the company on Monday.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.