Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having troubles rebuilding...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having troubles rebuilding...

So unfortunatly when i was discharged, i was forced to give up my previous car. When i was looking at different dealerships i didnt realize there was over 30 different inquries. Well i also went overboard and was trying to re-establish my credit. i have to capital ones. a platinium which was a 300 limit and was increased to 1300. I now have a quicksilver as of december 14. with a CL of 500. My score is still only 567. Even my car loan interest is pretty high. I feel like im already failing. Has anyone else hit this wall? like i said before i really applied for alot of BK friendly companies and got denyed big time. Ive been discharged since july 14.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Having troubles rebuilding...

I think that it may be time for you to garden for awhile.  Let the cards that you have age.  Keep using them and paying them off.  Dont be late and dont go over limit.  You are going to have to let your score go up and let those inq fall off.  that will take about two years.  Time is your friend. 

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 4
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

I felt like I hit a wall for awhile so I just apped willy nilly for whatever cards I wanted.  (one reports at 45 INQs now and growing!)  I am still kind of doing it, for no reason other than its fun.  I want to get a house in a year and a half, so I figure I can be stupid for another few months before I have to stop.  (Yeah my plans not the best but its workin for me Smiley Happy  )

Never felt like I was failing though.  Credit is all about time, no matter what you do now, given time itll fix.  So theres no way to really fail, just extend how long its taking to reach your goal.

Discouraging to always see the denials but when you get an approval on something youve wanted, its all worth it.

I was doing the same as you and getting almost all denials, few months went by I tried again same thing, little longer tried and I started getting some approvals with the denials and it just keeps going up from there. 

Just takes time, much longer time to see results than most things we are used to so it seems helpless sometimes.  Youll get there!

(Average age of accounts is a huge factor, if you dont have atleast a year many banks dont seem to lend.  So just give it some time!)

*edit*

1 year for the inqs to stop factoring into your FICO.  But lenders can still see em.

Message 3 of 4
nativenyer
Frequent Contributor

You have a lot of inquiries and that will hurt your score.  Right now, don't apply for anything unless you are sure you will be approved.  Actually, I wouldn't apply then unless it was absolutely necessary.  You need to garden your credit cards for now and let all the inquiries fall off.  Luckily, they only stay on for two years so you don't have to wait long until you start seeing them drop off.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.