Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! 1 year old 30 Day late

tag
mszuki1000
Contributor

Help! 1 year old 30 Day late

Would someone please inform me how to go about getting rid of a 30 day student loan payment. We've been back &forth on the phone for months before I gave up but now that I'm seeing a mortgage in the future.....This need to be taken care of!!!!!!! Now.......uuuuggghhhhh

Starting Score: 412
Current Score: 488
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help! 1 year old 30 Day late

GW letter directly to the CEO of the company..

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Is it accurate reporting?

Message 3 of 9
mszuki1000
Contributor

I dont feel so......Supposedly, they say even though my payment was made in time, its posted as late because it takes 7-14 days to be received in the appropriate department. And they are really sticking to that. I always thought as long as a payment is made "BY" the due date, its not considered late. I truly hate SCCU/1st Associates.....

Message 4 of 9
titanofold
Established Contributor

If you mail in a check you have to allow for several days processing time both by the mail carrier and the mail department of the company.

However, if you put the check in the mail on the due date, it should still be processed well within the 30 days. They cannot report you being 30 days late if you weren't actually 30 days past the due date.

You'll need to gather up your evidence. Print off your payment history with the lender, print off a copy of the cancelled check for the month in question, and include both in your GW letter to the 3LEs.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 5 of 9
mszuki1000
Contributor

@titanfold....thank u very much.. I always pay online... Never use checks... So I'll see if I can go back in my statements and see when it posted to my account... Also is there anywhere on the forum that can get example of GW ? And what is 3LE's?

Message 6 of 9
mszuki1000
Contributor

@titanfold....thank u very much.. I always pay online... Never use checks... So I'll see if I can go back in my statements and see when it posted to my account... Also is there anywhere on the forum that can get example of GW ? And what is 3LE's?

Message 7 of 9
titanofold
Established Contributor

@mszuki1000 wrote:

See the stickied thread "Where'd all the stickies go?" and that should get you to an area where the GWs are located. GW letter should be unique and personal to you. The tone should be inline with one who is asking a favor. More flies with honey and all that.

Three Letter Executives (3LE) are the CEO, COO, etc. For student loans it can take some digging to find out who and where they are, but that's what you'll have to do to get somebody to actually look at your account and what was reported.

Not all companies are like this. Sometimes one GW letter to the general correspondence address without it being addressed to anyone in particular is enough.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@titanofold wrote:

If you mail in a check you have to allow for several days processing time both by the mail carrier and the mail department of the company.

However, if you put the check in the mail on the due date, it should still be processed well within the 30 days. They cannot report you being 30 days late if you weren't actually 30 days past the due date.

You'll need to gather up your evidence. Print off your payment history with the lender, print off a copy of the cancelled check for the month in question, and include both in your GW letter to the 3LEs.

If the payment wasn't made by the due date, yes, they can report you as late.  However, it is the CRAs that are very rigid in how they post late payments to your credit report..  And according to them, a payment cannot be posted as 30 days late if it was not 30 days or more past the due date.

It will depend on how the creditor reported it.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.