Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help/Advice Credit Bureau Dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help/Advice Credit Bureau Dispute

I am running into some major roadblocks in an attempt to dispute inaccurate information on all three of my credit reports. I started with contacting Experian to dispute the inaccurate address. I started online and under the drop down menu citing the reason for the dispute I selected something to the effect of "someone else's information/family member’s information." For this particular selection the website suggested I call the 800 number to dispute this. I explained the situation to the Experian rep and he told me that I would have to contact the bank and have them call Experian in order to have the information removed. I have a joint care credit with my sister and her current address is being reported as MY former address. I contacted Synchrony Bank/CareCredit and they have informed there is no way they can help me being that the address is "accurate". I believe the incorrect reporting is due to a limitation in Synchrony Bank's ability to document information about joint account holders respectively. Reps from Synchrony told me their system only lets them associate one address with the account even if it is a joint account. She is the primary account holder and I am the co-primary account holder. I tried to show her flawed logic during this exchange:

REP: We cannot remove this infomation being that this is a valid address for the primary account holder.
SKUZee: That is a correct address for the primary account holder. What is the primary account holder's name?
REP: Jane Doe
SKUZee: What is the cosigner's name?
REP: SKUZee

I cannot simply change the address to my own as my sister is receiving the statements and I simply just cosigned as a requirement. I understand that I am just as liable but she is managing the credit on this account and the statements need to be sent to her address. Would I be wrong in asserting that Synchrony is in violation of the Fair Credit Act KNOWINGLY reporting inaccurate information? The Experian rep told me that I am unable to dispute this and I had to clear it up with the bank. Even if Synchrony Bank calls in this one time I'm afraid that the way their system is set up it will automatically report the same address again next month. I have not opened up disputes with the other bureaus yet. Any advice? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help/Advice Credit Bureau Dispute

File a direct dispute with them, including statements from both of you as to your current addresses, preferably supported by an ID, such as driver's license, showing your names associated with the separate addresses.  That should be adequae info to support the showing even if they dont maintinan it in their database.

If that does not do  the trick, then consider a complaint to the CFPB, or last result, legal action.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would approach the creditor from this angle:

"The law requires the reporting of ACCURATE information. But the law does NOT require reporting to occur. Since your system is limited to a single address, which is NOT accurate for reporting purposes under my name - this leaves your organization with a potential legal liability under the law. The most sensible thing for you to do, in order to remove any possibilty of legal liabilty is to simply NOT report this account to the CRA's under MY NAME. Remember there IS no legal requirement to report - only that reporting be accurate. Therefore, until such time as you are able to accurately report mutliple addresses of primary and secondary account holders I am requesting that you NOT report this account under my name."

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

File a direct dispute with them, including statements from both of you as to your current addresses, preferably supported by an ID, such as driver's license, showing your names associated with the separate addresses.  That should be adequae info to support the showing even if they dont maintinan it in their database.

If that does not do  the trick, then consider a complaint to the CFPB, or last result, legal action.

Thanks for the advice. Providing ID's is a great idea so that they are forced to acknowledge that they are indeed reporting incorrect information and prevents plausible deniability.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would approach the creditor from this angle:

"The law requires the reporting of ACCURATE information. But the law does NOT require reporting to occur. Since your system is limited to a single address, which is NOT accurate for reporting purposes under my name - this leaves your organization with a potential legal liability under the law. The most sensible thing for you to do, in order to remove any possibilty of legal liabilty is to simply NOT report this account to the CRA's under MY NAME. Remember there IS no legal requirement to report - only that reporting be accurate. Therefore, until such time as you are able to accurately report mutliple addresses of primary and secondary account holders I am requesting that you NOT report this account under my name."

The only downside to them not reporting is that is has my biggest credit line which obviously helps with my UTIL.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the same would go for inividual items of data. They can choose not to report the address.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well the same would go for inividual items of data. They can choose not to report the address.

I wasn't aware they could exclude particular details about one's account. Thanks for the tip I will attempt that angle as well.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.