Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! CA calling, but no dunning...

tag
themeggerz
New Contributor

Help! CA calling, but no dunning...

Oh no, just when I started to have all positives on my credit report....

I received a phone call from a local CA.  They call saying "This is Mrs. _____________ here in Town Where I Live, VT. Please return my calll..."  google shows me 

that the number is indeed a CA.

The first message called me by my maiden name.  The second message called me by my husband's last name. I am neither - I am legally a hyphenated last name.

Anyway, I'm afraid to call them back - but to be honest, I haven't received any dunning notices or anything. i have perfectly fine credit - j ust got a 15k limit with navy federal - but im afraid something is owed that i dont know about? I've spent a LOT of time cleaning up my credit.

Im also afraid to call back so they get my work number or something (I am not home when they are open) and my cell phone is blocked, but I know they have readers for that... so....

What should I do?

SCORES (2/2013): EX 795 TU 717 EXP 726
Goal: 800+ and Gardening

Wallet: NavyFed 15k AMEX BCE 2k Discover 3k BOA 5k
CapitalOne 2250 HSBC RZM 950 Best Buy SC 2900
GEMB/Paypal 3700 Merrick Bank 1k Zales 2k Barclays 1300 GEMB/AJMadison 3600 Walmart 800 VS 500 NY&CO 400
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help! CA calling, but no dunning...

I could be beneficial to return their call, just to invoke their dunning notice requirement.

Their calls to date have not communicated the substance of their collection to you, so most likely have not invoked their requirement to send you dunning notice.

If you call, let them identify their reason as collection of a debt, and then politely ask them to send all further communications in writing.  Say no more, and hang up.

Then you have a clear intital communication invoking their requirement to send dunning notice within 5 days.

If you have their address, you could choose, with or without any communication from them, to just send a DV letter, without any consideration of dunning notice. That would invoke an automatic cease collection bar against them, which would also block any reporting to a CRA until they provide debt verification.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.