Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, CR was just hit with a WHOPPER!

tag
v2009
Valued Member

Help, CR was just hit with a WHOPPER!

I need some advice!  I have been working very hard on cleaning up my credit since last February.  I have improved my fico scores from low 550's to mid score of 650. 

My CR (TU & Ex) was just hit with a collection for tuition at a private college I attended back in 2004.  I withdrew from the courses that I had registered for and provided the college with the appropriate paperwork.  HOWEVER, the college did not process the paperwork because apparently it was lost or misplaced-(my words, not theirs) this was all before "automated systems" that college use now.

This account has been attempted to be collected by at least 3 different collection agencies at 3 different times, in which I have asked for proper validation every time at that point I don't hear from them - it has been 2 years since I have heard from any collection agency on this account at all.  Then as of last Tuesday (3 days after I have applied for a mortgage loan) it shows up on my CR's.  If the loan office pulls my reports again, they will see this collection- $4461  I am devistated! What are my options here, any advice?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Re: Help, CR was just hit with a WHOPPER!

Again, its very important to OPT OUT (for others who'd be reading)

Have you received any communication from this new CA? Have you moved since then? Did the previous CAs ever report? Who owns this debt and whats the amount, DOFD, SOL etc..

Message 2 of 8
v2009
Valued Member

I will "read" the "opt out" section based on your comment.

As for communication?  I have received NO communication at all from this CA. I have not contacted them at all at this point either.

I did change from a PO box to a street address in the same town about 2.5 years ago - did not change towns or state.  The amount of this debt is $4461.  

EX states the collection is to continue on record till Oct. 2010 and the item was verified and updated 7/2009 .  I'm assuming the CA owns the debt as I have received nothing from the OC (University) since 2004. Previous CA's did not report to the CRA at all.  This absolutly came out of no where!  Comments? 

Message 3 of 8
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I would call the university & find out what happened with your paperwork.  Although it's too late now, I'd have done that the first time any ca showed up on my report or in my mailbox, since you didn't even finish classes.

Do you still have your old paperwork from when you withdrew from the courses??

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 8
v2009
Valued Member

I did contact the university when they first 'lost" my paperwork.  I had my original academic advisor helping me on the issue as well.  She called me, we discussed what happened and then she said she would take care of it.  I haven't not talked to her or the university since.  I assumed it was "taken care of".  Then about a year after, I received a call from the first CA.  I disputed with a letter within the 30 days and did not hear from them again.  Two years after that another CA called me in reference to this account.  I disputed with them as well.  I did not hear from them again either.  The reporting CA is CA#3 in which I did not receive any written communication at all.

The process for the original paperwork was this:

*have the professor sign the withdraw from class slip

*take the slip to the "registrars" office

*hand the slip in

This process was before all the online automated software (2004).  I did not receive a copy, there was no duplicate and I did not receive anything from the women I handed my withdraw slip to - at that point in time it never was a process to receive something in return when dealing with the registrars office. The college told me at that point it was not possible for them to loose paperwork???? really??   So its been "their word against mine"

The issue now - the CA from nowhere is reporting a balance of $4461 (original amount$3346) - UGH!!!  

Message 5 of 8
aquatic1
Established Contributor

@v2009 wrote:

I did contact the university when they first 'lost" my paperwork. I had my original academic advisor helping me on the issue as well. She called me, we discussed what happened and then she said she would take care of it. I haven't not talked to her or the university since. I assumed it was "taken care of". Then about a year after, I received a call from the first CA. I disputed with a letter within the 30 days and did not hear from them again. Two years after that another CA called me in reference to this account. I disputed with them as well. I did not hear from them again either. The reporting CA is CA#3 in which I did not receive any written communication at all.

The process for the original paperwork was this:

*have the professor sign the withdraw from class slip

*take the slip to the "registrars" office

*hand the slip in

This process was before all the online automated software (2004). I did not receive a copy, there was no duplicate and I did not receive anything from the women I handed my withdraw slip to - at that point in time it never was a process to receive something in return when dealing with the registrars office. The college told me at that point it was not possible for them to loose paperwork???? really?? So its been "their word against mine"

The issue now - the CA from nowhere is reporting a balance of $4461 (original amount$3346) - UGH!!!

I would contact the school again and find out if you had gotten grades for the courses. If the professors had to sign your paperwork then they would not have reason to give you a grade. Most schools are required to keepattendance records on file for a few years. It boggles the mind that they feel that they can charge a person but have no information to back up the charges.

GL

Message Edited by aquatic1 on 07-24-2009 11:33 AM

Starting Score: EX:603
Current Score: EX:603 (10/16/19)
Goal Score: EX:740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
v2009
Valued Member

Wow, Its been so long, I just found my college transcript and see that I received F's for both courses. This was graduate school and you would think that if I stopped attending there was a reason for it - I applied at another college and was accepted the very same semester - I'll call the college to see what date they have me listed as withdrawn from the program all together and update.

UPDATE:

Back in March of 2009 I received a call from a CA (#3 I think) in Ohio. I told them at that point that I was disputing the account. Long story short; they sent me a copy of their entire file for this account which includes my original dispute letter to my first CA (#1) back in 2007. It also contains a copy of 2 emails sent from an individual from CA#1 to the OC - the email information talks about another account as well as mine - the receiver of the information confused both accounts and ultimately misunderstood why I was disputing the account - she thought I wanted a "refund" - I did not pay the tuition as I withdrew within the time frame, they lost the paperwork and I do not owe for the semester at all - and of course the college is saying that I did not file the paperwork -

That was the last I heard from that CA - now - CA#4 has posted this $4461 amount on my EX & TU - I never received a call nor a letter from this CA.

Message Edited by v2009 on 07-25-2009 06:55 AM
Message Edited by v2009 on 07-25-2009 07:04 AM
Message 7 of 8
v2009
Valued Member

So what is the best way I can get this taken care of as I applied for a mortgage 2 weeks ago, met with the lender yesterday (of which she told me she wouldn't be running my credit again so I did not tell her about this collection) But I'm extremely nervous that if they run my CR again without telling me I'm afraid it will kill the deal. Suggestions?

And BTW - I obviously learn the hard way - yesterday I opted out for 5 years!

Message Edited by v2009 on 07-25-2009 06:53 AM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.