Help! Citibank. ):

tag
jbhems503
New Contributor

Help! Citibank. ):

***** SOL for NC is 3 years, btw.*****

Date account opened: 12/2010

Date account closed: 5/2012

Reason for being closed: Charge-Off for $880 dollar debt. It was ever sent to a collection agency though, Citi is still reporting this as my debt directly to them. 

Asking for some help here. I called Citi a couple of weeks ago, because all three of my credit reports don't show the last four digits of my account number. The CS lady was very nice, however she wasn't able to pull it up even with my entire social security number. Me and her went through hoops, verified all information except for my telephone number at the time, and she still couldn't verify it. I asked her about sending a GW letter, and she happily gave me the address and said to go for it, I couldn't loose anymore than I already have if I did.

Anyways, since they can't verify the information, at least through CS, should I try PFD with them? Or just dispute them through all three of the CB's that they've reported this to since they haven't been able to verify that this account ever existed? Need some advice, any and all help will be greatly appreciated! 22 years old trying to get my credit straight. ):

myFICO Equifax: --> 645
myFICO Experian: --> 684
MyFICO TransUnion: --> 645
--- Back in the garden until Mid 700's. Next on the list is the CSR. ---
Care Credit - $12.9K (AU). Best Buy - $4K (AU - It reports, that's all that matters! (: ). AMEX Premier Rewards Gold. AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - $2K. Citi COSTCO - 2K. Barclay Rewards - $1.5k. Chase Freedom - $1,000.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Help! Citibank. ):

It's kinda hard to pay an account that you know is out there but the original creditor can't find it, I know. Not sure what to tell you. You could try and dispute it, though, seeing how you know the account is yours and you know it is, will most likely be frowend upon by the mods here.

So, with that being said,

You could try a DD asserting that even though Citi reports that you owe money to them, when you contact Citi, they are not able to find any proof of this. But this runs into the problem that if Citi can't find the account, they have to way to respond or correct the information.

So,

I see no way around disputing the account with the CRA's.

Robert/guiness/DaBears/Lexie/Shogun,

Thoughts?

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 11
jbhems503
New Contributor

Thanks! I agree, anyone have anymore thoughts?

Honestly, it makes me feel bad in a way. I know it's my debt, and I'm willing to just wait and PFD after the first of the year when I'll have the other half, if their willing to PFD that is.. But then again, if they can't even verify that the account ever existed, then how am I to PFD something that doesn't exist?

It's a loop that never ends.. ):

Care Credit - $12.9K (AU). Best Buy - $4K (AU - It reports, that's all that matters! (: ). AMEX Premier Rewards Gold. AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - $2K. Citi COSTCO - 2K. Barclay Rewards - $1.5k. Chase Freedom - $1,000.
Message 3 of 11
jbhems503
New Contributor

Bump. Any suggestions guys?

Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The basis for a dispute is apparently the incompleteness of their reporting of the account no.

Are you willing to independently assert that you had no such account with them?  Do you have records of the account?

Willingness to offer a PFD kinda implies you accept the legitimacy of the debt and account, so I am reluctant to recommending a dispute.

If incompleteness is the basis for the dispute, then the fact that a CSR did not take the time or effort to orally or provide the information does not necessarily mean they wont or cant do so upon filing of a dispute.

You can file a dispute, to which they will most likely check their complete records, including any archived or accounting records, and locate the number

Being as they did a CO, I would presutme that a check with their accounting dept. will provide the missing info, as they necessarily recorded the shifting of the account from a receivable asset to a uncollectivle bad debt.

Nothing improper in disputing the completeness, but I would presume they will be able to locate the account number.with a bit more effort.

Message 5 of 11
jbhems503
New Contributor

Thanks! I'll more than likely wait until after the first of the year when I have the money in hand, and can offer a PFD. Like I said, I'm not trying to be dishonest here, and I'm acknowledging that the debt is mine. Still can't believe I was that stupid.. But nonetheless, it just seems odd that she still couldn't pull up the old account. She was even dumbfounded, she said that this had never happened to her before even with charge-off accounts. We talked on the phone for thirty minutes, very nice.

Anyone else have any other thoughts? Glad there's people out there that's willing to read, listen, and try to help. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
jbhems503
New Contributor

- Bump. - Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 11
DaBears
Senior Contributor

+1 @ Robert. Nothing is going to hurt by sending a DD to the OC. As stated they can actually go into the archives to search for the record in question. Good thing is you are acknowledging the account being yours and are willing to handle it. Bad thing for the bank is if they can't verify nothing at all they must delete their tradeline.  

Message 8 of 11
jbhems503
New Contributor

Awesome! But one question.. These forums have given me a LOT of great information, however I keep seeing DD letters being mentioned, and can't find a good thread or link to what exactly a DD letter is and what the letter itself consists of. Any help on that? If you have a good thread link, that'd be awesome too! 

Message 9 of 11
DaBears
Senior Contributor
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.