Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!!! Don't know where to START!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help!!!! Don't know where to START!!

I guess I knew my credit wasn't great, but this weekend I almost had a heart attack  Got my FICO score and it is 560 with Equifax and 577 with Transunion.  I have a few things in collection ( 6).    Most are for small amounts, the highest is 953.00.  Where do I start.  Should I contact the companies to work out payment plans, or just pay the full amount.  Will this help my score.  Also I have a few things that have been paid off, but is showing late, like a student loan that was in deferment at the time. 

Help I'm lost and confused. 

Heather

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JGWantsAHouse
Regular Contributor

Re: Help!!!! Don't know where to START!!

Welcome!  I must say that you have come to the right place. 

You may benefit more by telling us more about the accounts.  I was able to raise my score 80 points in the last 4 months by DV, PFD and GWs.  Search for them on this forum and you can use your own discretion on what to do.  My advice is don't pay anything until you read as much as you can on this forum and get everything in writing.

Closed on my first home April 2012

Starting Score: 559 11/2010
Current Score: 600 Equifax, 681 Transunion, 663 Experian(Lender)
Goal Score: 660+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Help!!!! Don't know where to START!!

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I knew my credit wasn't great, but this weekend I almost had a heart attack  Got my FICO score and it is 560 with Equifax and 577 with Transunion.  I have a few things in collection ( 6).    Most are for small amounts, the highest is 953.00.  Where do I start.  Should I contact the companies to work out payment plans, or just pay the full amount.  Will this help my score.  Also I have a few things that have been paid off, but is showing late, like a student loan that was in deferment at the time. 

Help I'm lost and confused. 

Heather

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, you need to know the DoFD of each account.  It will be listed on EQ and on TU and EX they will list a drop off date.  Just subtract 7.5 years from this date.

Next, know what your SOL is for each type of account for your state.  You can search on google or use the State Resources sticky.  Since you can get conflicting information on google, I would recommend the State Resources sticky.

Never, ever talk to a CA.  If you must contact them do it by CMRRR.

If you can post screen shots of the accounts in question, (not all in one thread), someone will help you.

The more information you can provide, the better.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.