cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! GC Services - Just got letter under my maiden name which I haven't used for over 10 years

tag
electra
Established Contributor

Help! GC Services - Just got letter under my maiden name which I haven't used for over 10 years

Not sure what to do here. Just got a letter forwarded to me from this company.  It's in my maiden name which I haven't used since 2002.  It says:

Electra C. (10 yo maiden name)

Your failure to respond to previous notifications has resulted in XYZ County Superior Court obtaining a civil money judgement against you.  This judgment has been forwarded to GC Services for Enforcement.

The State of California's Department of Motor Vehicles is assisting us in locating you.

You should take this opportunity to contact us at xxx.  By contacting us at this time to resolve your bail/judgement, you may avoid further methods of collection by the Superior Court.  Within its juridiction, these may include:

• Issuance of a hold/suspension of your driving priveleges
    • Wage garnishment
    • Attachment of real/personal property
    • All other lawful processes

Send us your payment in full.  Please include this letter to assure proper credit to your account.

Sincerely,

Scumball B. Debt Collector

So, they are claiming I owe $904.00!! For what??  I haven't lived in this county for over 6 years.  I don't recall EVER having gotten a traffic citation there.  MAYBE I got a parking citiation??  AND...it's in my maiden name which I haven't used for over 10 years!  

I did a search on the county records online search for that county and there is no record of any kind in my name.   P.S.  The CA DMV has had that address for 6 years ( I just moved to a new address but this forwarded) and I am just NOW hearing about it?   I have a hard time believing the DMV has not been able to track me down since then.  2 years ago when I went to get my liscense renewed I had to pay a 20 year old college parking ticket of $25 from another state before I could get my license!!  And this county...in the same state had nothing??

What should I do?  Do I DV?  

Thanks for any advice!!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
electra
Established Contributor

Re: Help! GC Services - Just got letter under my maiden name which I haven't used for over 10 years

P.S. As far as I know they haven't put anything on my credit reports. Maybe because it's too old or totally BS??

Message 2 of 15
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: Help! GC Services - Just got letter under my maiden name which I haven't used for over 10 years

Check the court and see if there actually is a judgement. You might be able to do that online.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 3 of 15
starry1
Valued Contributor

That doesn't sound right to me. Have you checked with Superior Court?

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 4 of 15
electra
Established Contributor

Yes, I did an online records search in that County and there is NOTHING in my name. Either maiden OR married.  

Message 5 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

RED FLAG!

Now let me tell you why.  They are trying too hard, throwing legal complications at you.  Legitimate debts from more reputable CAs do not use this tactic because they don't need it.  They have legal civil means to collect the debt.  Bottom feeders with zombie debts use this tactic because they have no other recourse for collecting.

They throw too many entities into the etter,  Superior court, The Cali state DMV, I've never known a DMV that was involved in active skip tracing.   Wanting you to resolve you bail/judgement?  Seriously?  They're collecting bail?  Sounds a little fishy to me.

I would contact an attorney, I would also file a complaint with the state AG and the FTC.  Like I said before, they're trying too hard.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 15
electra
Established Contributor

Thanks Shogun!

So, I actually found the case online this morning.  I guess I was looking in the wrong place. There is, indeed, a record there, in my maiden name from 2/2001.  It says it was a traffic citation from the Highway Patrol.  That's all the information.  I can't imagine how in 12 years I could have not paid this???  I've been in the same state the whole time. I've had to pay parking tickets before registering my car. I truly have no memory of the ticket or paying or not.  I guess I should call the court on Tuesday? Would they be able to tell if I've paid already?  Do these guys just troll through old DBs and send out letters like this hoping you (like me) won't remember and just send them money?? 

Message 7 of 15
electra
Established Contributor

Oh, and I googled them and they sound like the worst of the worst.  Loads of complaints of people about 24/7 harrassment and suspicious debt.

Message 8 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

12 year old debt.  You would think a bench warrant would have been issued following non payment of the ticket.  I would still consult an attorney as to the SOL of the unpaid ticket.  

July 2013 score:

Message 9 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Out of curiosity, due to the fact that I've never dealt with it, there might not be a SOL on this since the charge was made by the officer.  Not exactly sure, I would deeply advise you to seek legal counsel on this matter.  There are some things that might go beyond the CA and their tactics.

July 2013 score:

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.