cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! I do not know what to make of this...

tag
Tersie319
New Contributor

Help! I do not know what to make of this...

Before I learned of the TFC, I sent out a bunch of DVs.  One of which was for my DH.  It was with IC System for medical debt at a clinic he uses. 

Today we get a piece of mail from the clinic (return address on envelope).  There was not a letter but several billing statements.  They date all the way back to 2008-2012.  The balances range from $2-$88 with a total of $110.

I have been going through all my files trying to figure out why he got these statements.  They only thing I can figure is they must be from the IC System account that has a balance of $408.  If these are one and the same, that sure is a lot of interest charges!  But this is the only thing it could be.  I don't see any other reason why the clinic would suddenly send me a stack of old statements.

What do I do from here?  Do I send another letter to IC System for clarification?  Or do I contact the clinic?  I'm guessing the clinic must still own the debt since they sent the statements.  Maybe they could pull account back from ICSystem and allow me to pay them directly.  I would only offer the actual amount of $110, not $408.  PFD

What do ya'll think?

Starting Score: 7/2/2013: TU 532 FAKO (CK) || 7/22/13: TU 569 FAKO
Current Score: TU 642 FAKO (CK) // EX 640 FAKO
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Help! I do not know what to make of this...

I would contact the clinic.

For future reference, you can ask the CA for an itemization of the accounts in a DV letter.  Whether it is the federal one or the TFC one.

Message 2 of 4
Tersie319
New Contributor

Thanks Guiness!

Starting Score: 7/2/2013: TU 532 FAKO (CK) || 7/22/13: TU 569 FAKO
Current Score: TU 642 FAKO (CK) // EX 640 FAKO
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Presuming you sent your DV to the debt collector, they are required to respond back to the consumer.

Communications from the creditor are always nice, but do not constitute verification from the debt collector.

If your DV was timely, then they simply remain under a cease collection bar absent any response from them.

If you send another letter to the debt collector, I would not typify it as another DV, but rather a request for clarification.

If a residentof TX, there is no period in which a dispute of information must be sent under that statute.

You can still send a dispute under the TX code, thus requring a resonse within 30 days. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.