Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Identity Theft

tag
AKO17
Regular Contributor

Help - Identity Theft

I'm not sure where to post this. Monday, my fiance received a call from Target Bank stating tthat someone attempted a credit card application in-store at a register using his full social security number and drivers licesnse number. They used his first and middle name only, and gave a partial phone number. We were out of town when this occurance happened and the store is about 35 miles from our home, somewhere we do not frequent for shopping, but my fiance works in hospitals nearby the store. 

We shred everything and are very careful with our personal ID information. He is a physician and just went through some credentialing at several hospitals near the Target. Credentialing requires disclose all SSN, DL, etc. We are hoping it is not a hospital employee or a breach of info within the hospital. I guess we should contact them as well. 

Today EQ or EX sent him his credit report and this person also attempted to open an account at Verizon. Edited to add: They were able to setup two cell phone accounts in his name.

Monday we placed a fraud alert on his credit report but it takes 48 hours to go into affect. We are filing a police report today, but we live in Dallas and the PD is very slow to investigate.

What else should we be doing at this time? He does not have any kind of identity protection program such as LifeLock. I'm going to pull all of his credit reports, and sign him up for MyFico and Credit Check Total because I use them and the activity alerts are prompt.

Is there any other action we can or should take? We are getting married in 6 weeks and just bought a house. He has perfect credit and we don't want to start our marraige off with such a disaster. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help - Identity Theft

@AKO17 wrote:

I'm not sure where to post this. Monday, my fiance received a call from Target Bank stating tthat someone attempted a credit card application in-store at a register using his full social security number and drivers licesnse number. They used his first and middle name only, and gave a partial phone number. We were out of town when this occurance happened and the store is about 35 miles from our home, somewhere we do not frequent for shopping, but my fiance works in hospitals nearby the store. 

We shred everything and are very careful with our personal ID information. He is a physician and just went through some credentialing at several hospitals near the Target. Credentialing requires disclose all SSN, DL, etc. We are hoping it is not a hospital employee or a breach of info within the hospital. I guess we should contact them as well. 

Today EQ or EX sent him his credit report and this person also attempted to open an account at Verizon. Edited to add: They were able to setup two cell phone accounts in his name.

Monday we placed a fraud alert on his credit report but it takes 48 hours to go into affect. We are filing a police report today, but we live in Dallas and the PD is very slow to investigate.

What else should we be doing at this time? He does not have any kind of identity protection program such as LifeLock. I'm going to pull all of his credit reports, and sign him up for MyFico and Credit Check Total because I use them and the activity alerts are prompt.

Is there any other action we can or should take? We are getting married in 6 weeks and just bought a house. He has perfect credit and we don't want to start our marraige off with such a disaster. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Immediately freeze all three of his reports. Report the ID theft accounts to Verizon so they can cancel them.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.