Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Me Understand-Capital One Secured Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help Me Understand-Capital One Secured Card

I've seen many different things, and I think I'm not understanding them all.  Maybe it will make sense when the card arrives (the email said that they mailed the card on Tuesday, maybe there will be documents in there that will help.)

On a secured Platinum card can they CLI?  Or do I just have to prove I can manage it for 6 months then try to pre-approve for a different card?  

I've seen posts about people PCing to a new card, can the secured card be PCed, or I just have to hope they will approve me for a new card in 6 statements?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Help Me Understand-Capital One Secured Card

Cap1 secured cards can't be PC'd (at least currently, that may change later) and they don't do cardholder initiated CLI's. They quite often do a CLI after the 6th statement, 9 days after for both hubby and I, $300 increase. Some people have said they've gotten subsequent CLI's but we haven't gotten any so far. And they don't graduate.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help Me Understand-Capital One Secured Card

Capital One's secured card, as the previous poster said, is not a D-I-Y builder card, in that the cardholder cannot initiale CLI or have the account "graduated" into an unsecured line.  You are going to forever have a secured line, with a solid chance of exactly one CLI (the 6-ish month one) and very, very, very remote chances of a second one somewhere further down the line.  I had the card for about 6 months, got one $250 CLI (from 500 to 750), and never got another one.  I held the card for over 6 years (I colsed it when they started to balk at waiving the annual fee for me; I rarely used the card anyway).

This is considered one of Capital One's "rebuilder line" cards - that is, subprime cards intended to help you rebuild your credit through smart use - and as such, it is one of the two of those lines you are allowed to have under their internal guidelines.  You can add a QS1 or a Platinum (unsecured) line once your scores improve, but then you'll be maxed out on Capital One accounts until you shed one - of course, generally, the best idea is to close the secured line once you've reached score level to allow you to move into prime cards (like the Venture, or cards from other prime lenders) because most of the time, once you've reached a solid score, you can PC the QS1/Platinum into a prime line (a regular QS, usually).  Capital One does not set a limit to how many prime accounts you can have.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.