Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Need advice as a co-borrower

tag
RN67
Regular Contributor

Help! Need advice as a co-borrower

In 2002 I co-signed on a student loan for my then husband. We divorced in 2003 and that loan was his obligation. Since then he has defaulted numerous times, caused me to be unable to renew nursing license and numerous other problems. I just learned that the loan is now in forbearance until feb. 2013. I have contacted the loan people numerous times and they won't remove me from it. That loan is the only thing on my credit preventing me from buying a house. My credit was 644 but has dropped to 562 due to his lack of paying. Any suggestions??

Starting score (9-29-12)= myfico EQ-562, myfico TU-551, Exp.plus-550
Current score= EQ-732, TU-760, Exp-686
Goal score=775 across the board Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Help! Need advice as a co-borrower

The divorce did not remove you from the loan. The student loan lender was not a party to your divorce and can not be affected by your divorce agreement.There is usually no point in contacting the lender until the loan is paid off. If there is a shortfall, they will eventually come after you for payment. Once it is paid off, they might be willing to remove any negatives on your record as a GW gesture.

If the Judgement of Dissolution specified that the student loan was his responsibility then your recourse is to haul him back to Family Court for violating their Court Order and/or sue him for damages. You can pay the loan off to stop the damage and then sue him for damages, the loan amount and provable damage to your credit. You can go after punitive damages in most courts other than small claims.

Message 2 of 3
RN67
Regular Contributor

Re: Help! Need advice as a co-borrower

Thank you. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Good thing my daughter only has one year of law school left. Smiley Happy

Starting score (9-29-12)= myfico EQ-562, myfico TU-551, Exp.plus-550
Current score= EQ-732, TU-760, Exp-686
Goal score=775 across the board Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.