Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Old Medical Collections Account Appeared On My Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help: Old Medical Collections Account Appeared On My Credit Report

Recently a medical collections for $759 appeared on my otherwise flawless credit redport dated 07/2009 (yes 6 years ago).  I had no idea what it was for so I disputed it as 'not mine' and it came back as valid.  I called the collections agency and found out it was from a 03/2009 emergency room visit, from an ER physician.  The only info I have about the OC is a corporate name and address (random name like xyz services inc).

I did go to the emergency room at that time, however the hospital gave it 'charity coverage' as I was a young student at the time.  I contacted the hospital who did not know anything of the OC.  They gave me proof of charity coverage and phone numbers for the physician billing department and radiology department.   Neither of those departments had any record of my account.

What should I do next? (I am in Florida, if that makes a difference)

I am thinking either

a) Dispute it with the creditor directly and send them the chairty coverage letter.

b) Report it as identity theft.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help: Old Medical Collections Account Appeared On My Credit Report

Definitely do not report it as ID Theft since its yours that would be a felony. I suggest trying the mailed charity letter though they may deny saying you needed to apply with them separately. I will give you the steps for unpaid medical CAs though the Charity Care you have already obtained may suffice.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care 
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thenaks for input.  Regarding 1 & 2... I only have the coroporate name of the OC  (like xyz contracting services inc).  I looked up the name on state records and the corporation is 'inactive'.  Other then mailing to the last address they published in 2013 (which likely isnt in use any more), I can't contact the OC.

I was thinking I could perhaps file suit for against the collections agency for some reason in small claims court.  .  After 6 years they must be lacking some documentation.  The statue of limitations has expired so they could not countersue me.  They probably would not show up in court so I would automatically win, if they do show up I could just dismiss it or negotiate.  

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thenaks for input.  Regarding 1 & 2... I only have the coroporate name of the OC  (like xyz contracting services inc).  I looked up the name on state records and the corporation is 'inactive'.  Other then mailing to the last address they published in 2013 (which likely isnt in use any more), I can't contact the OC.

I was thinking I could perhaps file suit for against the collections agency for some reason in small claims court.  .  After 6 years they must be lacking some documentation.  The statue of limitations has expired so they could not countersue me.  They probably would not show up in court so I would automatically win, if they do show up I could just dismiss it or negotiate.  

I would just send the reporting CA a DV and see if they can validate. They may not respond as the DV only imposes a cease collection bar if its timely (sent within first 30 days of CA getting the collection). In order to sue the CA they would have to violate some federal law as the SOL also applies to you suing them for cause.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.