cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!! Pfd failure on three accounts...

tag
Tdbremer
Established Member

Help!!! Pfd failure on three accounts...

I am currently in the process of trying to get a new mortgage. My CRs are 523, 525 and 588. Never late on current mortgage or cars, my cc are all under 25% util but I have three accounts in collection, citibank/zales-6990, mid credit/med bill-284, and equinox ca-263. I called all three today willing to PIF on the smaller two and settle on the larger for Pfd. They all pretty much laughed at me. I am trying to take care off these but no one seems to want to help..what do I do now? Aren't scheduled to go off reports until 2019...
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Re: Help!!! Pfd failure on three accounts...

I was in almost the exact same boat as you 5 years ago...and I learned the hard way...before I discover this site, I paid out thousands of dollars to settle 3 accounts.  2 of them are still still on my CR listed as 'paid charge-offs'.

Others may chime in, but I would NOT PAY them right now.  Each of those baddies are probably lowering your score 50+ points.  Think of it another way...the difference between your current 525 score and having a score close to 700 is getting these three items deleted.  The bad news is even if you pay and/or settle, they will continue to hurt your score in a big way for at least another 5-6 years.  So it is in your interest to hold out for PFD and get those items removed (deleted) from your reports.

Once you pay them, you have ZERO leverage (as I learned).   Right now, THEY have little leverage.  They've already damaged you by reporting to the CRAs.  The only one that may be a concern is the Chase account, only because of the amount (you don't want to end up being sued) so you may want to approach differently.  YMMV.

Try calling again and see if you get someone different.  Keep calling until you get someone who will play ball.  I have a hard time believing the collection agencies wouldn't want a PFD...that's the only way they get paid.  Most importantly, do not send money until you have an agreement IN WRITING.

Have you done a DV letter yet?  If you haven't I would do so right away.  With any luck, they may not respond in which case you will have grounds to ask the CRA's to remove the item from your report.

Hang in there! 

Message 2 of 8
Tdbremer
Established Member

I'll send those out this week... It's just frustrating, I WANT to pay them but my gut says it'll do nothing for me. Thanks for the advice. Baby steps!
Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

I was in almost the exact same boat as you 5 years ago...and I learned the hard way...before I discover this site, I paid out thousands of dollars to settle 3 accounts.  2 of them are still still on my CR listed as 'paid charge-offs'.

Others may chime in, but I would NOT PAY them right now.  Each of those baddies are probably lowering your score 50+ points.  Think of it another way...the difference between your current 525 score and having a score close to 700 is getting these three items deleted.  The bad news is even if you pay and/or settle, they will continue to hurt your score in a big way for at least another 5-6 years.  So it is in your interest to hold out for PFD and get those items removed (deleted) from your reports.

Once you pay them, you have ZERO leverage (as I learned).   Right now, THEY have little leverage.  They've already damaged you by reporting to the CRAs.  The only one that may be a concern is the Chase account, only because of the amount (you don't want to end up being sued) so you may want to approach differently.  YMMV.

Try calling again and see if you get someone different.  Keep calling until you get someone who will play ball.  I have a hard time believing the collection agencies wouldn't want a PFD...that's the only way they get paid.  Most importantly, do not send money until you have an agreement IN WRITING.

Have you done a DV letter yet?  If you haven't I would do so right away.  With any luck, they may not respond in which case you will have grounds to ask the CRA's to remove the item from your report.

Hang in there! 

They do not have to respond and there is no law that says they must delete, just not continue collection activity.  The debt was already reported.

Message 4 of 8
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Sorry...guiness is correct.  Debt validation is only good for the 30 days before the acct is put on CR

What I meant by DV is Debt Verification (not debt validation) with the CRA's...so many abbreviations on here, it's easy to get confused :-).  

The CRA's are required to investigate.  Here's where it gets tricky...the OC/CA are under no obligation to respond, but if they do not respond to the CRA investigation in 30-45 days, the CRA must delete it.  Of course, this does not stop them for re-inserting it later, but it's worth a shot. I had two baddies from CA's disappear because I disputed them and poof they were gone.  

If they come back as 'verified', then try a method of validation letter.  This asks the CRA to document exactly how they verified the debt with the OC/CA.

But...your best bet for resolving this is still by trying the PFD route.  Maybe try to work out a PFD for a couple of months and if that doesn't work, then file a dispute.

Message 5 of 8
Tdbremer
Established Member

I just emailed the CA's Vice President letting him know the situation.  I have spoken to 5 CSR today and no help at all.  I just want to scream "What is this doing for you!"  Ugh, I'm frustrated...Thanks for clearing up the acronym! LOL!

Message 6 of 8
abzze
Valued Member

The first thing to do is DV.

Then ask them for PFD in writting.

Here's a complete guide for PFD.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

On a side note in my exp CAs have been easy to do GW after paying.

Message 7 of 8
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Dw4250 wrote:

Sorry...guiness is correct.  Debt validation is only good for the 30 days before the acct is put on CR

What I meant by DV is Debt Verification (not debt validation) with the CRA's...so many abbreviations on here, it's easy to get confused :-).  

The CRA's are required to investigate.  Here's where it gets tricky...the OC/CA are under no obligation to respond, but if they do not respond to the CRA investigation in 30-45 days, the CRA must delete it.  Of course, this does not stop them for re-inserting it later, but it's worth a shot. I had two baddies from CA's disappear because I disputed them and poof they were gone.  

If they come back as 'verified', then try a method of validation letter.  This asks the CRA to document exactly how they verified the debt with the OC/CA.

But...your best bet for resolving this is still by trying the PFD route.  Maybe try to work out a PFD for a couple of months and if that doesn't work, then file a dispute.

If the debt is valid, do not file a dispute. Keep attempting PFD. Search these boards for the names of the CAs and find people who successfully PFD'd and see what method worked for them.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.