Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please! Account re-aging?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help Please! Account re-aging?

I'm at my wit's end with a credit reporting issue and I'm looking to the helpful people here for advice.  I have a charge off from University Federal Credit Union CC - date of first delinqunecy is August 1, 2009 - charge off was in October 2009. (I have an old Exuifax credit report showing these dates. ) This is still showing up on my Experian report so I called in and filed a dispute on this account reporting. This morning I just got the results of this dispute back and it shows this account status as "verified" and will remain on my report until Aug. 2019!  Not sure what my next steps should be - contact UFCU and ask for proof or these dates?  File a BBB complaint?  Apparently working with Experian was unsuccessful in getting this corrected.  This is a HUGE red mark on my report and it's making me sick (and stressed) that UFCU is not reporting this correctly and that it's only affecting this report.  I was able to dispute the accuracy on TU and EQ and they removed the item.  Any advice on my next steps would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help Please! Account re-aging?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm at my wit's end with a credit reporting issue and I'm looking to the helpful people here for advice.  I have a charge off from University Federal Credit Union CC - date of first delinqunecy is August 1, 2009 - charge off was in October 2009. (I have an old Exuifax credit report showing these dates. ) This is still showing up on my Experian report so I called in and filed a dispute on this account reporting. This morning I just got the results of this dispute back and it shows this account status as "verified" and will remain on my report until Aug. 2019!  Not sure what my next steps should be - contact UFCU and ask for proof or these dates?  File a BBB complaint?  Apparently working with Experian was unsuccessful in getting this corrected.  This is a HUGE red mark on my report and it's making me sick (and stressed) that UFCU is not reporting this correctly and that it's only affecting this report.  I was able to dispute the accuracy on TU and EQ and they removed the item.  Any advice on my next steps would be greatly appreciated!

Start by sending a direct dispute (via certified mail) to UFCU asserting that they are reporting an incorrect DoFD. Send a copy of the old report showing the original DoFD.

Message 2 of 4
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Try just calling Experian back, speak to a CSR or supervisor and ask them for an "early exclusion." You may get lucky.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Under the posted scenario, the DOFD could be accurate and the charge-off could still not be excluded.

Exclusion of a charge-off is not mandated until after 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

A DOFD of 8/2009 does not result in required exclusion until after 2/2017.

A dispute at this point would be limited only to the accuracy of the reported DOFD, if there is documentation of an earlier date, and not to the lack of credit report exclusion.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.