Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please

tag
Greene718
Contributor

Help Please

So I have a credit card from nationwide bank and Capital One bank, but are reporting on my credit report as Charged off but Im guessing has not been sold to a CA, I just spoke with Nationwide and the guy said the acct is in the recovery dept which I did not get to speak with today because they were closed. I am guessing the same with capital one because again no CA has it. Is there a change I can get them to PFD or work something out since it is not sent to a CA yet? Anyone have any luck with this two companies?

Starting Score: EX 552 TU 652
Current Score: EQ 627 TU 715
Goal Score: EQ 670 TU 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help Please

Always a chance.  Try to deal with them before they go to a CA.  If a CA gets it and posts to your account, then you have 2 baddies for each to try and get removed.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
Greene718
Contributor

Are PFDs only for CAs or can that also be used for OCs as well?

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The primary issue is whether they still own the debt, and not whether a debt collector has become involved.

The OC can choose to continue to collect on their own, assign collection assistance to a debt collector, or sell the debt.

Under the first two scenarios, the OC can still accept payment, so you can offer a PFD to them, requesting deletion of their own reporting.

The second scenario has a wrinkle in that, if an assigned debt collector reports their collection activity, while you can still offer a PFD to the OC, as they still own the debt, acceptance of that PFD by the OC only relates to their agreement to delete their own reporting.  It does not compel the debt collector to delete their own, separate reporting.

So it might behoove to pay before a collection referral.

Option 3 forcloses any opportunity to offer a PFD to the OC for deltion of their reported charge-off, as they would no longer have any authority to accept any payment on the debt.  So PFD would then be limited only to any collection the new owner may have reported.

Message 4 of 7
Greene718
Contributor

Thank You for taking the time out to respond. Im wondering if it would just be better to send a GW letter since I believe Cap One and Nationwide bank still owns the acct they just listed it as a charge off. what Im confused about is do i ask them to take  off the charge off or just update my status as not being 120+ late?. im new at all this sorry if my questions are a bit silly.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are going to make PFD offer to them, start with a request for deletion of all reported derogs.... the CO as well as any monthly delinquencies.

Each reported delinquency stands on its own, with its own eventual CR exclusion period.  Deletion of just one wont provide a clean account.

Message 6 of 7
beb86
Valued Contributor

@Greene718 wrote:

Thank You for taking the time out to respond. Im wondering if it would just be better to send a GW letter since I believe Cap One and Nationwide bank still owns the acct they just listed it as a charge off. what Im confused about is do i ask them to take  off the charge off or just update my status as not being 120+ late?. im new at all this sorry if my questions are a bit silly.

@CAP1 is a tough cookie who LOVES to use litigation to recover there losses...(wife had a bad experience in the past)....and a charge off is what the OC will do once it hits 120 days late. You can check out the sticky for great examples of what to include in your letters....if you have the cash I would ask CAP1 to PFD @full price. They WILL take you to court and get there money plus attorney fee etc.. but best of luck 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.