Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! Question about TU score vs.. FICO score

tag
empressj
Frequent Contributor

Help!! Question about TU score vs.. FICO score

I am new to all of this and very happy to find this forum!!  After being approved for a car loan with Capital One in 2012, I applied and was approved for a Capital One unsecured cc with a $300 CL and 6 months later I received an automatic CLI to $500. I  have small balances on 3 ccs and always make pmts ahead time and my car pmts are auto deducted from bank account. 

Here's my issue..... I really got carried away and now have JCP, Macy's, Fingerhut, LB and Amazon account.

Last week within 2 days I applied for LB, Wal-Mart and Amazon. I was approved for an Amazon card $600 CL and LB $300 CL but was denied by Wal-Mart.. So yesterday I received a denial email from GE Capital in regards to the Walmart credit app. I noticed there was a big difference in my TU score (denial email)  vs.. my FICO score is as of 5/9. Smiley SadI know I went crazy and it won't happen again. I don't understand how there was such a huge drop in my TU credit score within days?? Will all of the CR agencies report include the same score now?? I am so confused and really frustrated with myself. I don't know what else to do besides paying off my small cc balances!! Any suggestions..Etc????

Edited: I went back and reread the denail letter and it states the credit score may differ from the CRA's score so maybe I'm wigging out just a little but I not applying for anymore ccs. I guess I need to wait until next month and see how much of a ding my crdit scored has takenSmiley Embarassed...thanks again!!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Help!! Question about TU score vs.. FICO score

myFICO uses TU98 and Walmart uses TU08.  Between the two models there will be a difference.  Different methods for calculating scores.

Message 2 of 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help!! Question about TU score vs.. FICO score

That was probably because it was a different score model that they based their score on.  You can generally tell by what the score ranges are.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.