Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Rebuilding-Charge off and Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help Rebuilding-Charge off and Collections

I will be applying for a mortgage this year soon as my middle FICO score is 680+ (prefably 720) and/or I save up more money for the down payment. Currently scores are EQ 671 TU 679 EX 655. I would like to purchase between now and November 2016. 

My plans as of right now are to refinance my auto loan (12.74% currently) and apply for 1 or 2 credit cards. I was also thinking of getting a personal loan from my credit union to payoff my collections. I need advice on getting the negative accounts and collections removed and anything else that will help my credit score improve. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

My credit report details from report run 1/2/2016:

Negative factors 

1. You have a serious delinquency or derogatory indicator, public record, and/or collection on your credit report (EQ-2 accounts 60 days late/2 collections TU-2 accounts 60 days late/2 collections EX-3 accounts 60 days late/2 collections)

2. The remaining balance on your morgage or non-mortgage installment loans is too high (EQ TU EX)

3. You have not established a long revolving credit history (TU-16 years)

4. You have too many accounts with balances (EQ-6 accounts TU-6 accounts)

5. You have a short credit history (EQ-AAOA 7 years)

6. You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit (EX-24%)

7. You have few accounts that are in good standing (EX-7 accounts)

Negative accounts

EQ: #1- JCPenney charge account - 1x 30 days late, 2x 60 days late, 0x 90 days late, last activity 7/2011; remarks: charged off account; status- charge off; This account was sold to collection agency (Midland)

EQ: #2 - Ally Financial auto loan - 15x 30 days late, 12x 60 days late, 1x 90 days late, last activity 7/2013; status pays account as agreed; remarsk consumer disputes after resolution;  I tried on multiple occasions to dispute the last 3 months of payments that were late with no success

TU: #1 - JCP - 0x 30/60/90 days late; last activity 6/2011; remarks purchased by another lender; status- charged off as bad debt

TU #2 -  Macys - 1x 30 days late; 1x 60 days late; 6x 90 days late; last activity 4/2014; remarks-account information discputed by consumer; status-paid or paying as agreed; I called to arrange a payment plan with them before it went to collections in exchange they closed the account 

TU #3 - Ally - 14x 30 days late, 12x 60 days late, 1x 90 days late, last activity 9/2013; remarks-dispute resolved? customer disagrees; status-paying as agreed;

EX: #1 - JCP - 2x 30 days late, 3x 60 days late, 14x 90 days late; last activity NA; remarks-purchased by another lender; status-unpaid balance reported as a loss by credit grantor

EX #2 - Macys - 2x 30 days late; 1x 60 days late; 6x 90 days late; last activity NA; remarks-account closed at credit grantors request; status-paid account was delinquent 120 days past due date

EX #3 - Ally - 15x 30 days late, 12x 60 days late, 1x 90 days late; last activity 10/2013; remarks-dispute received consumer disagrees; status paid account was delinquent 90 days past due date

Collections

#1 - Midland Funding - original creditor JCP/GE Capital Retail Bank; date assigned 2/2013 EQ, 11/2012 TU & EX - $2825 balance

#2 - Cavalry Portfolio - original creditor HSBC Bank Nevada (got this charge off removed); date assigned 7/2012 EQ TU & EX; paying under a partial payment agreement; $1492 balance; will be paid off by May/June 2016

Open accounts:

Revolving

Comenity Bank/Victoria Secret - $650 limit $0 balance

Badcock Furniture - $2500 limit $0 balance

Credit Union VISA credit card - $1000 limit $132 balance

Fingerhut - $200 limit $0 balance

Total limit $4350 utitlization 3%

Installment

Credit Union auto loan - $23,165 balance $518 pmt

Fed loan student loan - $10,247 balance $14 pmt

Fed loan student loan - $82,439 balance $113 pmt

Nelnet student loan - $19,136 balance $26 pmt

Nelnet student loan - $23,601 balance $32 pmt

Total balance $158,588 monthly pmt $703

All student loan balances are higher than the original loan amount; 107% utilization; I just started paying on these in 2015

Also, I had a bankruptcy that fell off in 2013. Do you know which credit card companies won't reissue new credit for a previous charge off?

Thanks for any and all input Smiley Happy Heart

KUDOS!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help Rebuilding-Charge off and Collections

You need some bank credit cards. I would suggest applying for a Cap One Platinum card, and QS1 card. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks NormanFH. That's my next step. Do you think I should refinance my auto loan first or apply for credit card first?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card first. How much of the original balance is paid on th car loan?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 4k. Started at 26k down to 22k in 1 year
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

A refi might cost you a few points, depending on how much a new account drops your AAoA, but the trade-off is improved DTI for a mortgage. Pretty much your call there.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send a DV to Midland and they might not be able to verify since HSBC removed the charge off and purged it. Imo i would refi 1st coz according to simulators new acct drops your points more than decrease in Uti n also since you have till nov why dont you just wait and let the bank cards you get age while handling collections
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a debt validation through myfico and they all came back verified. Midland also sent a letter to me with a copy of my final bill from hsbc as validation I guess. I also just received a settlement offer from them.

The reason for refinancing auto loan is to have a better dti for mortgage so I'll take the hit. The damage should be offset in a few months.
Thanks for all the advice. I'm very hopeful!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.