Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Unpaid dental bill reporting.

tag
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

Help! Unpaid dental bill reporting.

I live in California. Recently a collection for a dental bill showed up on my report. I'm also going through a divorce so this debt is included in the schedule of assets/debts which is why I never paid the bill in the first place.

To date, I have written a DV letter to the CA, which in turn they responded with a statement of my account. They did not give me 30 days to investigate after they sent their "validation" to me, instead the immediately reported to the CRA. Today, I went down to the CA in person (it's a small local CA) and asked them if they would PFD since there was a alot of misunderstanding reagarding the account. They refused.

I have a couple of questions. First, if I could get the dentist office to take the account back from the CA, would they have to remove the collection they reported to the CRA? Second, what should I do here? I've read the links and it seems like I should pay the OC along with the letter under the HIPAA steps listed on this forum. Finally, is it correct to assume that dental bills are considered medical bills?

Any intelligent repsones would be appreciated. This is my mistake for being cute and greedy (if I pay the stupid bill it's seen as a "gift" to the ex and I'm tired of giving). Now I'm at a point where I just want this off my report as I have nothing negative on my report other than this a couple of lates from 2003. I am perfectly capable of paying the $2300 bill in full upon request.

Oh I forgot to add that I disputed this online with Equifax, and they verified it within hours. Pretty amazing.

Message Edited by dollar_bill on 03-16-2009 03:01 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

Re: Help! Unpaid dental bill reporting.

Anyone out there?
Message 2 of 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help! Unpaid dental bill reporting.

Dentists are covered entities under HIPAA, just as doctors, hospitals and surgery centers are. Since you can afford to pay this med collection in full, I do recommend the HIPAA letter process.

I would begin with the following:

1.) Use this link to opt-out of your credit reports

OPT-OUT CREDIT REPORTS (or call 1.888.567.8688)

2.) Use this link to opt-out from all of your CURRENT creditors that you're in GOOD standing with. Do not attempt to opt-out with any CAs or current creditors that you're in BAD standing with (i.e. charge-offs, or currently late).

OPT-OUT ALL CREDITORS

3.) Also, be sure to update your personal information with the CRA's before doing any credit repair. Having old addresses deleted is always beneficial.

4.) Send the pre-HIPAA dispute letter to the CRA ('s) CM (no RR, this is the only letter in the HIPAA process where you will not send it CMRRR) and wait up to 35 days for the results of the their investigation(s). Be sure to handwrite this letter and use personalized stationary. If your med collection is deleted, you're finished.If not, post the results of the CRAs investigations before proceeding with the HIPAA letter process.

PRE-HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.