Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! What should I do?

tag
jeter11
Established Member

Help! What should I do?

I have a collection on my equifax that is the lowest of my three scores. I am reading and trying to fix, pay off and do lots of letters but I have a CA that has reported twice on the same report for the same debt as a collection. The last update on one was 2010. The newest one they continually update for the same thing with the same CA for the same account. It is due to fall off later this year. Should I dispute the one with the innacurate amount that is just sitting and hasn't been updated or do I leave it be since they are supposed to fall off this year. Or do I call and ask for a pfd for both to be removed? Confused as to the right way to approach. I don't want to bother it if it's supposed to delete but at the same time anything sitting there as an open collection is hurting me, correct? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! What should I do?

If it were me, before I would do anything is make sure 100% that they both are for the exact same debt and not 2 separate debts that just happen to be the same amount. If the CA is reporting the same debt twice, they need to remove one. This should not re-age the account as long as you don't admit that you owe the debt; simply dispute that the debt is being reported twice. Also, If the debt truly is the same account for both files, then the remaining file should be falling off this year.

After making sure they are actually the exact same account, removing the duplicate file would be my first step, then I'd just wait for the other to fall off in a few months. If you send a PFD letter, you are admitting you owe the debt and that could potentially restart the clock. If you'd rather not wait, after getting the duplicate removed, then I suppose you could send a PFD letter for the remaining file, but if they decline to delete, it may come back to haunt you as you've basically just admitted you owe the debt.

Removing the duplicate won't help a whole lot as far as your CR, but keeping both on there doesn't help either. I'd say have one removed then wait out the few months for the second one to fall off. The remaining file may show as being updated, but if it's dropping off soon, then it really shouldn't matter all that much. Personally I'd rather have one less collection account and potentially having the other one show with updated date knowing it's going away very soon.

Message 2 of 6
jeter11
Established Member

Yeah they are exactly the same. It appears as though instead of updating the other they created a new one. I will just dispute the innacurate one as a duplicate first. 

Message 3 of 6
jeter11
Established Member

ok now I don't know how to go about this. I took a look at my reports again... they are reporting the same amount being due.. as the balance. But one of them has a different account number. I am not denying the debt, but the account numbers are different. I don't owe that same debt twice to the same company with different account numbers. I don't even know which one might possibly be the right account number. Ugh!

Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If it were me, before I would do anything is make sure 100% that they both are for the exact same debt and not 2 separate debts that just happen to be the same amount. If the CA is reporting the same debt twice, they need to remove one. This should not re-age the account as long as you don't admit that you owe the debt; simply dispute that the debt is being reported twice. Also, If the debt truly is the same account for both files, then the remaining file should be falling off this year.

After making sure they are actually the exact same account, removing the duplicate file would be my first step, then I'd just wait for the other to fall off in a few months. If you send a PFD letter, you are admitting you owe the debt and that could potentially restart the clock. There is nothing that reages or restarts the clock on the DoFD its a set in stone date that cannot be changed by law. If you are referring to SOL some states allow it to be reset with any payment and in others it requires a new written promise to pay and subsequent default on that agreement before it resets. If you'd rather not wait, after getting the duplicate removed, then I suppose you could send a PFD letter for the remaining file, but if they decline to delete, it may come back to haunt you as you've basically just admitted you owe the debt. 

Removing the duplicate won't help a whole lot as far as your CR, but keeping both on there doesn't help either. I'd say have one removed then wait out the few months for the second one to fall off. The remaining file may show as being updated, but if it's dropping off soon, then it really shouldn't matter all that much. Personally I'd rather have one less collection account and potentially having the other one show with updated date knowing it's going away very soon.

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@jeter11 wrote:

ok now I don't know how to go about this. I took a look at my reports again... they are reporting the same amount being due.. as the balance. But one of them has a different account number. I am not denying the debt, but the account numbers are different. I don't owe that same debt twice to the same company with different account numbers. I don't even know which one might possibly be the right account number. Ugh!

I would dispute nothing as of yet and send a DV to the CA on the most recent account thats reporting. The older one leave alone for the time being especially if it hasnt updated in years. Its a good possibility they will find it as well and info you on what it is.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.