cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Which way should I go?

tag
AnnaRachel

Help! Which way should I go?

I had a credit card a long time ago. I was irresponsible with it. I learned from my mistake, got rid of it, got all of my credit cards on a payment plan and got rid of all but one. This last one is haunting me. They would not work with me at all. I let it go to collections. Smiley Sad It was a huge mistake. The worst part of my credit report is from this card.

I am confused about how to get it off my report the fastest. The original company sold it to collections. I have NEVER had contact with the collections company. This is the second one that they have sent it to. The first is not on my credit report. I know it is something that i owe, and I want to pay it when I get my taxes this year. It won't drop off for almost 5 years!

Should I send a PFD letter and ask them to take the whole thing off of my credit reports? Should I only pay part of it? The original amout I owed is about 500 less than what the collection wants. I'm pretty sure they will take it, as they recently sent me a letter that asked me if I wanted to settle for a lower amount.

The worst part is that yesterday I got an alert that my FICO score went up because of increased use on my credit card! I think. I'm not sure why it went up, but I think that is what it was.  Some of the bad credit cards are set to drop off this year. I have to look closer at the reports I got today and see exactly when.

I also recently started getting offers for credit cards. I haven't gotten them for about 6 years or so. I got an offer from Amex too! I was very irresponsible with them when I was much younger, so I thought I would have to beg them to get another card with them.

So, HELP!! Please! Let me know if you have questions because I am not sure that this makes sense to anyone but me!

Starting Score: 541
Current Score: 541
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the stars. All I can do is reach for myself. Joyce Maynard
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Help! Which way should I go?

@AnnaRachel wrote:

I had a credit card a long time ago. I was irresponsible with it. I learned from my mistake, got rid of it, got all of my credit cards on a payment plan and got rid of all but one. This last one is haunting me. They would not work with me at all. I let it go to collections. Smiley Sad It was a huge mistake. The worst part of my credit report is from this card.

I am confused about how to get it off my report the fastest. The original company sold it to collections. I have NEVER had contact with the collections company. This is the second one that they have sent it to. The first is not on my credit report. I know it is something that i owe, and I want to pay it when I get my taxes this year. It won't drop off for almost 5 years!

Should I send a PFD letter and ask them to take the whole thing off of my credit reports? Should I only pay part of it? The original amout I owed is about 500 less than what the collection wants. I'm pretty sure they will take it, as they recently sent me a letter that asked me if I wanted to settle for a lower amount.

The worst part is that yesterday I got an alert that my FICO score went up because of increased use on my credit card! I think. I'm not sure why it went up, but I think that is what it was.  Some of the bad credit cards are set to drop off this year. I have to look closer at the reports I got today and see exactly when.

I also recently started getting offers for credit cards. I haven't gotten them for about 6 years or so. I got an offer from Amex too! I was very irresponsible with them when I was much younger, so I thought I would have to beg them to get another card with them.

So, HELP!! Please! Let me know if you have questions because I am not sure that this makes sense to anyone but me!

First since there is 5 years left before it drops off I will assume it is still with-in SOL.

If you contact them even for a PFD to settle the account, make sure you have the total amount owed since they can still refuse your offer and possibly attempt to sue you. 

Making a PFD attempt to have the CA removed IMO is your best bet. Being that you still have 5 more years before it falls off I would offer the full amount owed for removal from Credit Reports.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 3
AnnaRachel

Re: Help! Which way should I go?

That is what I was thinking. I really hate that I wasted time and money and a good credit score because I was being stubborn. My state's SOL is 4 years, so it will not be going away soon enough for me.

Thanks for the reply!

Starting Score: 541
Current Score: 541
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the stars. All I can do is reach for myself. Joyce Maynard
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.