Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with OC (Dish) Instead if CA (AFNI) -Update 5/19/2015

tag
souskei

Dealing with OC (Dish) Instead if CA (AFNI) -Update 5/19/2015

HI Everyone!

OK, so long story short, I have a baddie on my Reports that I want/need off. 

I had signed up for Dish Network a few years back when i was living in my Apartment. Well when the contract was up, they wanted their equipment back. 

So the Billing Addess they had on file was my dads house, so they sent the box to return the Dish Equipment back, there. But he lives in a different City and was deployed for awhile so i assumed the box was just sitting in the front porch for month

I called Dish and asked them where the box was and told them Im at a different address, and they said they would send one to my Apartment and informed me they would charge my CC if they didnt ghet the equipment back.i was ok with this.

Anyways, i moved 3 weeks later, never got a box, checked the front office of the complex to see if they got a box. Nothing. So I assumed they would just charge my CC for the ammount of the equipment ($180).

so after awhile it slips my mind, Equipment in my Garage, and get an AFNI Letter saying "OC -Dish Balnce $180". My first thought was why didnt Dish just Charge my CC like we Agreed on? 

I got the letter 6 months ago and am still trying to decide what to do with it. I did call them once about a month ago to try to PFD, but they said they wont do that. 

I Could Easliy pay the Balance, but i want the mark gone and I dont know if a Paid status would do any good. (Well i mean im sure it would, but it would still be there)

Ive been trying to Get in with AMEX for Awhile now and i know this is whats stopping them from Approving me. And im planning on buying a house in a years time, so getting this removed would be extremly helpful.

should i keep Calling and asking for a PFD? Maybe just pay off the balance and write Multiple GW Letters? i know i cant fight it because the info is Accurate. 

Thanks for reading and thank you for any advice!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 5/19/2015

ok so just a quick update

Spoke with Dish Again today to see if they would retract/Recall the Collections from AFNI. All the CSR said they would do is report to AFNI a 0 balance and that it would be removed from their (AFNIs) system. 

Now i dont know what what to think. DISHs CSR said "it will be removed from AFNIs system" sooo, is she gonna retract it? im not sure. I am going to call back once they received the Recevier and ask again if it is going to be indeed retracted from AFNI. OR if Dish is going to justy report it as paid. 

I Paid of the termination Fee (of $25) and Dish will Waive the remainder of the $187 when they recive their Receiver unit back. 

But as far as the 0 Balance on AFNI, im guessing once Dish reports the 0 Balance - all AFNI is gonna do is report it as paid, but it will still be on my report. so im guesing i should start drafting some GW letters. 

Thanks Again for reading! any Advice and words of Wisdom is greatly apprciated!

NFCU CR Visa Sig 17k | Sallie Mae WMC 8k | Cap1 QS 7k |
Discover IT 3k | Chase Freedom 2k
BofA 321 2k | Citi TYP 2k | Citi DCB 1k | Apple Rewards 2k

Whats up with all these low limits??!?!?!!?!?!?
Scores ~700
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
EddieK
Established Contributor

Re: Help With AFNI Acct. Should I Pay then GW Letter? PFD? Pay OC?

AFNI will not do PFD's.  Best to pay it then ask for GW.  

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 2 of 15
souskei

Thank you for the info!
How long after I pay the debt can I start writing GW Letters?

Scores ~700
Message 3 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@souskei wrote:
Thank you for the info!
How long after I pay the debt can I start writing GW Letters?

I would begin the GW letter campaign as soon as it updates to a paid collection

Message 4 of 15
EddieK
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

I would begin the GW letter campaign as soon as it updates to a paid collection

Agreed.  E-mail your GW's to recoveryteam@afni.com.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 5 of 15
souskei

Thank you guys for the responses! And the email address!
Just a few more questions,

So when I do pay the full amount over the phone, do I need anything in writing saying the status will be changed to "paid" on my reports? Or is that something automatic?

And also, what should the Email title be?
Something like - "Goodwill Letter" or "Request for Removal"? Or something like that?

And obviously include my acct number. Do I need to provide SSN?

I'll look up some Example emails too.

Thank you again!

Scores ~700
Message 6 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@souskei wrote:
Thank you guys for the responses! And the email address!
Just a few more questions,

So when I do pay the full amount over the phone, do I need anything in writing saying the status will be changed to "paid" on my reports? Or is that something automatic? Nope, by law they have to report correct info so they have to update it to paid status.

And also, what should the Email title be?
Something like - "Goodwill Letter" or "Request for Removal"? Or something like that? The letter should not be sent by email it should be sent by US Mail to whomever you are sending it to, looks more professional that way and has more of an impact over email. Convince them to grant the request, make them feel how it affects you, these things can never be communicated with email.

And obviously include my acct number. Do I need to provide SSN? no

I'll look up some Example emails too.

Thank you again!

Message 7 of 15
souskei

Than you for your help!
One more thing.. Is there a specific EO address for Afni I should be sending my GW letters to?

Or just the address on the collection letter?

Scores ~700
Message 8 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@souskei wrote:
Than you for your help!
One more thing.. Is there a specific EO address for Afni I should be sending my GW letters to?

Or just the address on the collection letter?

Just Google the following to get the address you need to send it to the CEO    "afni corporate office"

Message 9 of 15
EddieK
Established Contributor

You can snail mail it, but I along with many others have had success with e-mailing the request.  It's your choice, but AFNI deleted mine by e-mail.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.