Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Credit Dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help With Credit Dispute

Hello. This is my first post. I usually am able to find answers in here, so have never had to post until now. I've been working on getting my credit rebuilt for the past 5 years. I finally went over 700 as of December and was very excited. Except my FICO score is still under 700. So of course I got my credit reports and checked EQ for negative accounts. The item on my credit report that is messing up my score is an old car loan I got back on 7/1999. It's listed as a charge off and that the DOFD is 2/2002. I'm angered for various reason. One, my EQ credit report from 2010 has this loan listed as paid off without any problems showing up. Now it's listed as a charge off. It also has 'date maj. del. 1st rptd' as 7/2011. I have disputed it with EQ because I was never aware this loan was a charge off. I made payments until I received the car title in 2002. I don't have the title anymore because the car was scrapped in 2005. The dispute came back and the only things changed were the date reported, of course, and it was changed from charged off to charged off paid. I contacted the bank to ask about the loan. They say it was charged off on 2/2002. I was never aware of it being charged off, and it was paid off either way. I was asking why it was not reported as a charge off until 9 years after the fact and why it would even be on my report after 7 years if it was a charge off and just got treated rudely and dismissed. I'm not sure what else to do at this point, but I obviously don't want this on my credit report. It's only on my EQ report so was hoping it would be an easy fix since I want to buy a house this year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Help With Credit Dispute

Don't dispute online with EQ.  This is something you need to do via certified mail.  If you have an old copy of your EQ report then you can see if somehow it got reaged or put on there in error.   This should definitely be DROPPED OFF !!

What/how did you dispute already?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the online EQ credit report dispute at the begining of the month and got that back. I also contacted the bank via email multiple times during this week until the person got mad. I guess asking too many questions doesn't make everyone happy. So I should do it via certified mail to EQ, or the bank as well? Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

If you are sure that it has been 7.5 years from the DOFD, then you yes, sent certified to the CRA to remove it.  It is the CRA's responsibility to remove derogs after the credit reporting timeline.  The OC/CA can send the info and try to collect forever, so it's on the CRA to manage this part of it, one of the FEW THINGS THEY HAVE TO MANAGE, by the way.

Good Luck!!!!

Online disputes do all the work for them.  You fill out all their forms and then they just have to click a button to finish 'r up.  You want someone looking at this.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! I will get a letter ready for Monday. I greatly appreciate your help.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.