Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help a Newbie Please?!?!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help a Newbie Please?!?!?

Hi y'all!!,

So I've been reading on the forums a little over a week now and boy I wish I had this info years ago heck even weeks ago!! I have leanred a lot but I would like some info on what I can do to rebuild my credit. 

My credit history started off with a CIti bank credit card when I was 18 (2004). I maxed it out in a day (terrible) I had no idea how credit cards worked since no one I knew had them.  It was reported to collections when I was unable to make timely payments on it but I listened to the people around me that told me it was no big deal (bad idea). Next few years Ihad various cell phone accounts, catalog accounts and utility accounts put in my name by a family member without my knowledge so my credit was in the hole. 

I got an apartment with my then boyfriend he split left me with the apartment 2009 (which was in my name) my kid (not his) and a pending eviction date. I got paid that Friday and our eviction date was set for that Wednesday they didn't want to wait so I moved out on Monday. Since I moved out it counted as a broken lease. But of course I had to wait for them to put the apartment back on the market which apparently took them a few months (apartment was in good condition just needed new paint). They then sent me a bill for the amount which was about 5k. (Learned my lesson there)

Fast forward to 2010 I wanted to try to fix my credit I started the dispute process filed an identity theft report with my local police department and creditors started deleting the accounts off my reports. I went back to school in 2012 and have student loans and I am set to graduate May 2016. 

I got a car loan through Westlake Financial (do not ever go through them!!) Horrible experience my car was repossesed three times two of which was their fault. The last repo was in 2012 and when I called they refused to tell me where the car was and I told them to keep it I had given up with them. I made payments on time missed two and I know a creditor can reposess on the first day payment is late  but random repos were not something I understood. A class action law suit was settled in my state against them because of their high interest rates and repo tactics. I didn't benefit a great deal from it as I got a check for about 500 bucks but the account is still on my credit.

I have a total of 4 derog marks on my credit which are 3 charges that I could not dispute that I plan on paying off soon through the PFD process and my apartment. Westlake doesn't show as a derog mark though just on my credit as an auto loan involuntary repo.

I just got a unsecured Cap1 QS in December through a pre-qual and applied but I wasn't expecting it to go through but it did shocker! That was my second credit card I ever had and I promised to do better with it and I have and recently I applied for their unsecured MC Platinum card and was approved for 500 and I got a 100 dollar increase on my QS Cap1 card bringing me to 400. I had also opened a First Premier card (nothing bad as of yet but I have read the forums) with 400 limit . I went on a app spree last week and got approved for the Credit One card 400 CL Amazon store card 700CL, Walmart 400CL, Express, HSN and VS both 250CL and a Macy's account with a 600CL. I was declined by Discover it, Chase, Gap, Nordstroms, BOA and JCREW. I know to many inquiries!!! That is when I found myfico forums and I have learned a lot in a week.

So sorry for the long post but any suugestions as to how I can start to rebuild my credit? I went from a 440 score in 2010 to a 596 2015 and I just reached the 596 within  the last week. I want to know how I can keep improving my credit as I really feel like I know better now. Just looking for some advice to get started. Oh and I don't plan on apping anywhere for quite some time Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help a Newbie Please?!?!?

bump

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks to me like you are doing pretty darn good! More store cards than you need, but you can prune those back in a few months. Right now just sit back and let those cards start working for you by reporting good payments each month. in about 6 months you may see some decent score growth. At that point pull your scores (from this site, not someplace like credit karma, credit sesame, quizzle, etc. You want your actual FICO scores. If your scores are in the low to mid 600's, app for a Barclays card and request credit limit increaes on the Cap One cards. If you get approved for the Barclays, close the Credit One, they are horrible and owned by a very large predatory junk debt buyer.

You can also request your platinum cap one card be upgraded to a QS rewards card - just call customer service. I'll tell you another 'secret' about capital one - they like heavy usage on their cards. If you run all of your everyday expenses through them, and keep them paid down right away, they will be very generous with credit limit increases.

Once you get about 680 or so on your scores, app for Discover, and if you get it, dump the First Premier card. No sense in keeping them at that point. You'll want to prune your store cards down to just a few that you will use regularly.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Norman! I will heed your advice and I am in the garden until I see FICO scores go up! I'm going to keep reading the forums and get all the info I can...thanks again!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.