Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - can't find a credit builder loan or installment loan

tag
onepointatatime
Contributor

Help - can't find a credit builder loan or installment loan

Hi, I'm searching for a credit builder loan online.  As I spend a lot of time overseas, I haven't gotten around to looking for local credit unions (Sacramento, CA) that might have credit builder loans.  Since I've heard that throwing in an installment loan onto your credit report is a good thing (right now I only have 2 secured cards, and the rest is old derogatory stuff, collections etc), I was considering doing a little $500 or $1,000 12 month credit builder loan for the purpose of improving my credit.  Does anyone know of one that can be done online or over the phone, without strict requirements?  Thanks so much!

Sep 2013: mid 500s | Sep 2014: myfico: EX 539 | EQ 594 | TU 694 || My Rebuilding Journey
myfico, 12/3/2015: EX 666 | EQ 677 | TU 689 | AAoA : 3y | INQs (12/24) EX 11/13 | EQ 5/9 | TU 4/7
Cards: Chase Sapphire Pref. $6K | BoA Travel Rewards $1.6K | Cap1 QS Rewards $7.5K | Priceline $0.5K | Credit Union $2K | Total (5) Revolving CLs: $17.6K
Goal Score 2015: FICO08 800+
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gypsymama
Established Member

Re: Help - can't find a credit builder loan or installment loan

Look online for credit unions that you could get into. There should be some as I saw plenty of California CU's in my search. There are lots of popular credit unions on this forum if you qualify for them. I just opened a DCU acct that was really easy with just a $10 membership to an organization they work with. A lot of the CU's offer secured credit cards and secured loans. You should be able to apply online with very little hassle once you have an open CU account. That is the only way I can think of getting one set up if you are overseas. 

Cap One Secured $200; Fingerhut $250; Venus $250; VS $500
Message 2 of 4
CreditHealthy
Established Contributor

Try Golden 1 credit union, they have plenty of locations in the Sacramento area. When I first started rebuilding I was able to open up a $250 small secured credit card account recently closed it though because they Pi$$ed me off because I was only one point away from obtaining a non secured card and they denied me. Just make sure your credit is in Tip top shape if you ever apply for anything more than a secure account. Good Luck!

What's in my sock drawer? NFCU LOC 15,000] NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000][ Golden 1Platinum Rewards Card 6,600 Discover It 5,000,] {NFCU goRewards 17,500} Barclaycard 1250.00,]Cap one 750.00 ], Watering my garden for the next five years:-)
EQUIFAX 727 EXPERIAN 732 TRANSUNION 743 FICO} STARTING SCORE....554 July 2013
Message 3 of 4
CreditHealthy
Established Contributor

One more thing, you mentioned being overseas. If your connected in any way with the military like active duty, parent, grandparent, sibling that retired from the military, you could apply for the Navy Federal Credit Union, I know your scores are not ideal right now but, people have been known to get sizeable credit limits with your numbers. Give them a try if you are eligible.

What's in my sock drawer? NFCU LOC 15,000] NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000][ Golden 1Platinum Rewards Card 6,600 Discover It 5,000,] {NFCU goRewards 17,500} Barclaycard 1250.00,]Cap one 750.00 ], Watering my garden for the next five years:-)
EQUIFAX 727 EXPERIAN 732 TRANSUNION 743 FICO} STARTING SCORE....554 July 2013
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.