Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help dealing with an old derogatory?

tag
Luzzelda
Established Member

Help dealing with an old derogatory?

Hello all! Hoping some wise folks might lend some advice. I've only had one CC with USAA. Moved overseas for years, and in the midst of the chaos got seriously behind in payments and it was sent to collections. I paid in full in February of 2012, from overseas - had the collection company patch USAA in on the payment call so they could verify payment. Just moved back to the US this February and saw USAA still had the account on hold and listed as unpaid. I called them immediately and they adjusted their records and according to my TU credit report, it was due to fall off in May of 2017. In the meantime I got a Capitol one platinum card with initial CL of $500 - this was just increased to $5,500 after 6 months. I also took out a car loan in August with Chase at 5% - total amount was 14,200, have paid down to $13,200 since opening.

Here's the concern:
I just checked my Experian FICO and the old USAA account shows PF up until Feb 2016. I was hoping to garden until next May and then add a few CCs to increase my total numbers of account. I've never had more than one CC at a time, but would like to eventually qualify for reward/airline cards.

Should I contact USAA and ask them to fix this discrepancy (phone or writing?) or should I file a dispute directly with Experian? Also, any advice re: long term strategy would be much appreciated. My auto adjusted FICOs were showing in low 700s but the Experian FICO I just got showed 664 Smiley Sad

Thanks for any advice you can give me! I was feeling happy with making progress and am now a little discouraged...
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.