Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help don't understand why credit dropped

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help don't understand why credit dropped

I'm trying to rebuild my credit score and have been monitoring my credit score. I got an alert that  my score dropped 5 points. It dropped because of credit card use. I have been diligent in keeping my balance under 30% of my available credit. When my balance was reported today and caused my credit to drop, my balance was 22% of my total available credit on the card. No late charges in 5 years and one for the life of the card, 7 years. I pay the total balance of the card off every month.

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chad

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help don't understand why credit dropped

Welcome to the forums! Where did you get your scores from?

Message 2 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to rebuild my credit score and have been monitoring my credit score. I got an alert that  my score dropped 5 points. It dropped because of credit card use. I have been diligent in keeping my balance under 30% of my available credit. When my balance was reported today and caused my credit to drop, my balance was 22% of my total available credit on the card. No late charges in 5 years and one for the life of the card, 7 years. I pay the total balance of the card off every month.

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chad

What is the limit and the balance of the card?? What is the overall util % on all your cards?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

FICO likes to see CC balances to be less than 10% of your total CLs, ideally reporting on one card, with the other CCs reporting zero. Try doing this and you might gain points, assuming that nothing else happens on your reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My limit is $2000 my balance was $445. It is currently $0 again because I  pay it every month. It is the only credit card that I have. Is there any other  suggestions to improve my credit score? I got my score from the My fico score watch.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Chad

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.