Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help for new board member!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help for new board member!

Hey all,
I have been viewing this site for a few days now and have gotten lot's of info, thanks!

But, I need some advice now on a situation, here are highlights:

Had troubled credit after divorce in 97'.

Returned to school and was able to start career, meet new man and rode on his excellent credit (authorized user on credit cards, mortgage on our home, car loan).

After 11 years together we are getting married and this has prompted me to look at my damaged credit (my soon-to-be spouse is fully aware of my past). Suprisingly (to me anyway), many things have fallen off and CR looks like this:
1) 2 old account that state paid/transferred (don't appear to be negative, but are old)
2) my many student loans that are paid ontime (several have switched lenders)
3) no credit cards, although just approved for an AMEX product (blue)

okay, here is the problem:
On TU there were 16 derogatory accounts from a lawyer that collects for a hospital (hospital is my employer!) totalling $1700 (don't recall receiving any notification of these charges)
Called CA and asked for verification and disputed with TU (some dates are old
from 2003), TU removed 11 of 16, and only validation that I received from CA is the same info I received on my TU report (range of dates and dollar amounts). Sent additional letter and awaiting response from CA, but continued to dispute to TU (on #4), asked TU what proof they have for disseminating such personally damaging info and they stated that they don't require proof, everything is done electronically. Spoke with CA and rep stated that most of these charges could be copay and other charges not covered by my insurance company (I have good health insurance) and I spoke with the hospital who stated that they don't have much info after it is sent to collections, but these items could be facility charges and copays. But nobody is providing itemized statements proving that I, infact owe this debt.
My credit scores are rather low because of really no credit history (Exp 693, Equ 712) but TU is the worst because it is the only one showing these derogatory accounts (650).
Where do I go from here.
Plan on sending letter to TU asking for written documentation of proof that this is accurate debt they are reporting.

Any advice is welcomed!
Also, Can anyone tell me what it up with credit reports for employment if the salary is over 75K ?

I am reading a book that states deleted information returns to your CR if the job pays over 75k or if it is a government job.

So, if I apply for a job within this criteria my perspective employer would see the credit cards i defaulted on from back in 97'?

How can I see what my "full report" says?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help for new board member!

aimingfor700 wrote:
Hey all,
CR looks like this:
1) 2 old account that state paid/transferred (don't appear to be negative, but are old)
2) my many student loans that are paid ontime (several have switched lenders)
3) no credit cards, although just approved for an AMEX product (blue)

1) Leave it alone 2) all is OK 3) expect a score drop when it reports (est. 20 pts) but expect to gradually rebound a large chunk of those points 4-5 months after it reports.

aimingfor700 wrote:
okay, here is the problem:
On TU there were 16 derogatory accounts from a lawyer that collects for a hospital (hospital is my employer!) totalling $1700 (don't recall receiving any notification of these charges)
Called CA and asked for verification and disputed with TU (some dates are old
from 2003), TU removed 11 of 16, and only validation that I received from CA is the same info I received on my TU report (range of dates and dollar amounts). Sent additional letter and awaiting response from CA, but continued to dispute to TU (on #4), asked TU what proof they have for disseminating such personally damaging info and they stated that they don't require proof, everything is done electronically. Spoke with CA and rep stated that most of these charges could be copay and other charges not covered by my insurance company (I have good health insurance) and I spoke with the hospital who stated that they don't have much info after it is sent to collections, but these items could be facility charges and copays. But nobody is providing itemized statements proving that I, infact owe this debt.

Where do I go from here.
Plan on sending letter to TU asking for written documentation of proof that this is accurate debt they are reporting.

Stop! Don't take any action until you read up on the HIPAA process found stickied here somewhere.

aimingfor700 wrote:
My credit scores are rather low because of really no credit history ...
If you are an AU on your DH's accounts, then his history for his TLs also count for you.

aimingfor700 wrote:

Also, Can anyone tell me what it up with credit reports for employment if the salary is over 75K ?

I am reading a book that states deleted information returns to your CR if the job pays over 75k or if it is a government job.

So, if I apply for a job within this criteria my perspective employer would see the credit cards i defaulted on from back in 97'?

Never heard of that. In fact, your employer doesn't report your salary to the CRAs. Come think of it, employers don't report at all. Any employment info listed comes via self reporting when you apply for credit. But the CRAs don't track salary information.

Also, there is a law called the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The FCRA limits the time in which your good and bad accounts are allowed to stay on your CR. No matter what happens, your old CCs can't report if CRTP has passed.

aimingfor700 wrote:
How can I see what my "full report" says?

I always recommend pulling your CRs directly from each CRA. There you can see more account history, soft pulls, more contact info, etc. You can order for free via annualcreditreport.com.

Message 2 of 5
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Also, there is a law called the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The FCRA limits the time in which your good and bad accounts are allowed to stay on your CR. No matter what happens, your old CCs can't report if CRTP has passed.

§ 605
(b) Exempted cases. The provisions of paragraphs (1) through (5) of subsection (a) of this
section are not applicable in the case of any consumer credit report to be used in
connection with
(3) the employment of any individual at an annual salary which equals, or which may
reasonably be expected to equal $75,000, or more.

If they are deleted, they are gone. If the CRA merely suppresses this information it could display if you are applying for a job that pays over $75k.
Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

upinflagstaff wrote:

§ 605
(b) Exempted cases. The provisions of paragraphs (1) through (5) of subsection (a) of this
section are not applicable in the case of any consumer credit report to be used in
connection with
(3) the employment of any individual at an annual salary which equals, or which may
reasonably be expected to equal $75,000, or more.

If they are deleted, they are gone. If the CRA merely suppresses this information it could display if you are applying for a job that pays over $75k.

Thanks for pointing that out. I never was a govt employee and guess I glossed over that. I wonder if anyone reading this had any TLs listed beyond CRTP if a govt employee over $75k. Or is it just an out-dated provision.

Edited to clarify after a re-read.

Message Edited by llecs on 09-29-2008 08:59 PM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice...A few questions:

I read the HIPAA sticky, but I am not sure what I should do now that I have sent the 2 letters to the CA (no response to the 2nd letter) and the 1 letter to TU...TU sent a letter back that they verify items based on what the CA says is valid, no supporting documentation required...I feel foolish, but can you guys guide me through the HIPAA process, I really need this stuff settled.

Also, how do I know if the CRA are suppressing old defaults or if they are really gone forever?  Isn't my right to know what info is being supplied?

I was also wondering how many CC I should establish in my own name to improve my credit?  and should it be a mix of major CC (V,MC,AMEX) and retail cards?

The cards that I am an AU on do not report on my CR
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.