cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me buy my first home for me and my family.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help me buy my first home for me and my family.

Good morning,

I will start off by saying that I have made many mistakes and I am not going to make excuses for them. I make a really good wage now and can afford to pay off any debt that is owed and will do what it takes to qualify for a mortgage for me and my family. 

Last year I made the smart decision to work on my credit. I made a huge mistake though. I didn't research how to do this properly and I contacted all of the debt collectors on my credit report and paid them in full. The problem is, I will still be dealing with them for the next few years. I thought I was doing the correct thing. 

At the beginning of November, I contacted my bank(Regions) and let them know that I would be interested in purchasing a new home(I have already found the home and need to purchase it before they put it on the actual market.) I was informed that a co-buyer option was not available like with a car, so the fact that I have a co signer with a 780 FICO score doesn't matter. So I finally realized that it was all on me. I will outline my credit report and please give me any comments as to how I should of better handled this or if I have made a mistake. I have read so much and researched online for hours and hours. I understand gardening, but I really need to do what I can to get in the best shape possible to be able to apply for a mortgage at the end of January 2015.

12/7/2014: MyFICO: Exp: 583, TU: 566, Equ: 577.

Negative Items on Credit Report and how I am trying to resolve them:

2 Loans through NelNet - Student Loan Debt. I have three late fees from Aug. Sep, Oct 2013. Three first 2 shows 120 days and 1 showing 90 days in Oct.

- I contacted NelNet through the contact form on the NelNet webpage informing them that I was under the impression that I was under forebearance during the period. ( I had previously been under forebearance and had reapplied. I never received a notice that I was denied so I assumed that I was still under forebearance.)

--- 12/5/14 Response from NelNet, They emailed me requesting a copy of my credit report and an outline of the mistake. I sent it to them and will hope for the best.

Civil Judgment from Chase $1208.

I contacted the court and was referred to a lawyer. I still have yet to get the court to give me a copy of my "public" record on this.

I spoke with the CO and was informed that the amount was different. I requested a statement in the mail that I could use to compare to the public record and potentially pay off of. The CO refused to send me anything and said that I could only pay over the phone. 

I sent a letter to all three credit bureaus with this information and asking them to reinvestigate to verify this debt and the amount that is owed. The certified letters should arrive tomorrow(12/8/14).

Collections:

Midland Funding LLC:

$356 - Account still shows as opened on Equifax even though closed and paid in full. I sent a letter to Equifax asking them to please change the status to closed. I also sent a similar letter to midland funding to have them submit the correct information to Equifax.

First Collection Services:

Paid in full $601 regarding local college debt. Contacted the credit bureaus and the creditor because this debt was a part of a student loan repayment and is included in my student loan debt. There was a squabble between the college and NelNet, but I have this included in my nelnet debt. I sent a letter to the collector on this one to please have this removed from my score. I will contact the credit bureaus if I do not hear back from the creditor.

Penn Credit:

Paid in full ($115) I shouldn't have paid this, but I did.  This is regarding a utility bill. I paid this company even though I had to pay the utility company as well to have the service turned on at a new home. This is from Jan 2013. I sent a letter to Penn Credit to have them to contact the credit bureau and have this removed.

Enhanced Recovery LLC(Sprint phone related)

$468(Paid in Full in 1/5/2014) Sent letter to creditor to have debt removed from bureaus. This debt was legal, but the amount I paid was far more than what was owed and the value of the cellphone. 

Eos CCA(ATT Mobile)

$296(Paid in full 1/5/2014) Account is from 8/12/2012. Sent a letter to EOS CCA regarding having the debt removed since it was paid in full and the last payment made on the original account was over seven years ago.

RGS Financial(Medical Bill from Dentist Office)

$89(Paid in full 1/5/2014) Sent letter to RGS Financial asking for it to be removed since it is so small and was paid in full almost a year ago.

Revolving Accounts:

Entergy, I had a charge off many years ago over 5 years ago related to an entergy bill where I had a levelized billing agreement. I sent a cerified letter to Entergy requested the account status to be paid in full since they did require me to pay the balance when I reactivated lighting at a new location. I was hoping to get this adjusted to pays as agrees to turn a negative to a positive, but not sure how to word that.

Inquiries:

12 inquiries in last year. 11 of them have to do with going to 1 car dealer and being there for two hours. I made the stupid mistake of trying to get the best interest rate I could on a new vehicle. I ended not even purchasing a new vehicle. I sent out letters to all of the inquiries that I had besides the ones that resulted in actual credit being given. I just requested in a certified letter to either remove the inquiry or provide signed evidence where I gave their company permission to run my credit.

I was reading that I need at least 2-3 credit cards on my credit report. I do not wish to apply for something and be denied, so I now have a capital one secured card. I made the first payment on 12/3/14 for exactly 30% of the limit and also avoided having an fees. I applied to do for the opensky card and will have it by Friday. I will do the same where I pay exactly 30%. Capital One has yet to report my first payment. I contacted support today and was told that it could take 30 days after first payment to appear on report, but that they would contact their credit department and try to speed the process up.

The positives currently on my report:

My Student Loan Payments are all positive and up to date besides the three negatives late last year.

My Truck Payment(over 2 years old) is perfect and never been late on it.

Aarons Rent(since 2008 paid off) Shows positive on Experian and Equifax but they didn't report to TransUnion. I doubt I can do anything about this though.

That is really it. I have mostly tried to avoid using credit or credit cards since I have been able to afford them. It is funny how that works. Please advise me in anything else that I can do. I am willing to throw money at this and do what it takes. I am an accountant and small business owner so I know how to properly write letters and speak with representitives.

Thank you all in advance. Any help would make a huge difference for me and my family. 

-Drew

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Gladtobehere
Established Member

Re: Help me buy my first home for me and my family.

You have to be patient, thats why gardening is the phrase used. A home loan -now- which is basically what your saying, with your current credit issues (which with patience and a commitable financial plan you can overcome) will take time. Be that as it may, if you want a home, not a loan, by the end of January next year, find another qualified applicant and work out an agreement were they will allow you to rent now and own (when your credit ready) in the future. Also I am rebuilding so I am not advising anything less than I will have to do, good luck to the both of us. I am sure you will be successful whatever your choice. I am digging. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand this. I am mostly making sure that I have done everything that I can to resolve these debts. I am pretty sure if this all was resolved, I would qualify for the FHA loan that I am applying for.

I want someone who has successfully cleaned there old stuff off in the past to review and make sure I did this correctly.

Thanks,

-Drew

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the lack of any revolving accounts has hurt you quite a bit - your two accounts will take about 6 months to 'mature' and start pushing your scores up. I would suggest using the Cap One card for things you would normall pay cash or use your bank debit card for, and pay the balance off a few days later. I would not worry at this point about trying to manage UTI for maximum score - that will come later. Right now just use the heck out of it and PIF a few days later. I make all of my payments online, Cap One makes it very convenient.

High usage combined with frequent PIF, and little to no carryover balance will encourage CLI's.

Work on trying to get the derogs removed. Watch for multiple reports by CA's on the same account, and dispute wichever has earlier reporting.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Norman, Thank you so much. Your advice is very helpful. The mortgage broker told me that the main issue is going to be the judgment. Should I just wait until the credit bureau reviews this? I am willing to pay the debt but I want to make sure that I have a valid understanding of what exactly I am paying. I could request a PFD but I am not sure how common that is with public records.

Thanks so much once again for your time. This forum has been a godsend so far.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding the Judgement - its quite normal for the amount awarded to the creditor to be higher than the reported amount. Thats because they ALWAYS ask for legal fees and interest to be added on - but the amount that gets reported is just the original debt.

Unless you can show grounds to have the judgment set aside or vacated (like they falsified service proof or such), you really have no other choice than to pay what they are asking for - the longer you wait the more interest accrues.

You're probably just spinning your wheels calling to try to get the court to send you stuff - you need to go to the court clerk and there is likely to be a per page fee for getting the records of the case.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.