Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me increase my score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help me increase my score

Mauve is correct. If you can secure financing at a credit union or bank prior to shopping, you will be better off. Then you can negotiate price without getting backdoored with the interest rate, and walk away if you feel the deal isn't right.

Message 11 of 16
mauve
Valued Contributor

Last person I know who bought a car at a dealership (my brother) walked in with financing secured through the credit union we both use.  He walked out of the dealership with financing from the same credit union at a half percent discount.  

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not unusual. If they send a lot of business to that credit union they may have been able to get a deal done "cheaper", as finance companies run specials to get volume. As a single consumer, you're considered a one shot deal. Its all about what you negotiate. They're in business to make money and that 1/2 percent was where they expected to get it. Also, if he already shopped the best financing deal, why did he submit another app at the dealership? He must not have been sure about what he was offered...

Message 13 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow. That makes it pretty easy to relate to. We have pretty much the same situation. I am in the 32 - 33k income area. I am divorced, so no wife's income to rely on. I just bought a $12k vehicle with $1k down and payments a little over $300.mth. My interest rate is high due to credit issues, but I will never pay that amount of interest because I will retire the loan early. The one thing that sticks out is the $300 in child support. That goes into the DTI and I know for conventional and FHA mortgage loans this could cause you not to qualify at the best rate, or even at all. Your calculation is probably similar to mine. I have about 400 in payments per month with the car payment and 4 small credit card obtained to build credit. Adding a $500 - 600 mortgage and the DTI was within guidelines but still close. I can't add anymore payments or I may be over. So with the $300 child support and no car payment yet, you want to be extemely careful. Run the calculators to see where you stand. I don't think you should put the 5k down on the vehicle. Remember the salesman can work the numbers to make sure you still pay more than what you want and a good bit of that 5k is going to fund his paycheck. Go for $1k max down and keep the other$4k on reserve (for emergencies) if you must finance the car. Or look around for a good used car that you can get for 5k and avoid adding to the DTI altogether. Also with FHA, you would need 3.5% down which you already have if you finance $100k or less. Make that $4k your downpayment for the home, and see if the seller will help with the closing costs. Since you drive for a living, you may opt for the vehicle with the payment because it may come with a warranty, etc. You can weigh that all out, but don't let it prevent you from getting an appreciating asset (homes do go up in value - just not recentlySmiley Happy because a car is just the opposite. Also, how long have you worked the 2nd job? In order for that income to count in underwriting for the mortgage, I think you have to show it on your taxes for at least two years.

Hi there.

May I make a gentle request? When you have a long post could you break it up into several or more paragraphs? A solid block of words is very hard to read and some folks will just pass it by and won't even attempt to read it and therefore might miss something important.

It is possible to edit your own post. To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu.  

I hope you don't think I'm singling you out or picking on you because I'm not.  Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 16
Regular Contributor

This is in response to the wall of text above. I could get a $5000 car, but that is what I have bought in the past and I have to do a bunch of work on the car shortly after I get it. One I bought was $3800 and died 2 years after I got it. I replaced the engine 4 months ago, but the installer friend f'ed it up and the car caught fire when I was driving it. loss of the car, plus $2000 I spent for the install and engine. I really want to get a decent 2-3 yr old car with 20k-30k miles on it so I don't have to worry about many fixes, and so that I know what has happened to the car since its rather new. I could sell my current car for about $2000, but I figure I could keep both for now and use the old car for deliveries and when I don't have the kids(its a 2dr hatch).

I figure I should have about 10k saved up for the house. I would like more, but prices are cheap right now and interest rates are really low. My current expenses every month are about $1700 for my entire cost of living. The extra $600 is mostly saved. If I buy a house it shouldn't really change my finances every month except repairs and upgrades.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your suggestion. In short, I will post what i feel is necessary to explain in a thorough fashion.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.