Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me interpret this CRA report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help me interpret this CRA report

I recently contacted my student loan advocate and it appears they corrected everything except the Account History.

This account was opened in June 2011 as a consolidation loan, then on May 2012 it was in collections and turned over to the Dept of Education where it was rehabilitated. The Dept of Edu reports my account as being on time since May 2012.

Based on the way it is reported on EXP below, it seems like my FICO score would interpret this as a recent collections account. am I correct to dispute this item?

Original creditor
COLLEGE BOARD / SALLIE MAE

Type
Education
Terms
1 Months
Credit limit or original amount
$3,653
High balance
$0
Monthly payment
$0

Date of status
05/2015
First reported
05/2015
Responsibility
Individual
Account history
May
C
Collection as of May 2015
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help me interpret this CRA report

You can always dispute, when you dispute an item it gives you several options on why you want to dispute. now the result of the dispute depends on how much they have against you. and what you have to prove your case. 

Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@AhmedInVA wrote:

I recently contacted my student loan advocate and it appears they corrected everything except the Account History.

This account was opened in June 2011 as a consolidation loan, then on May 2012 it was in collections and turned over to the Dept of Education where it was rehabilitated. The Dept of Edu reports my account as being on time since May 2012.

Based on the way it is reported on EXP below, it seems like my FICO score would interpret this as a recent collections account. am I correct to dispute this item?

Original creditor
COLLEGE BOARD / SALLIE MAE

Type
Education
Terms
1 Months
Credit limit or original amount
$3,653
High balance
$0
Monthly payment
$0

Date of status
05/2015
First reported
05/2015
Responsibility
Individual
Account history
May
C
Collection as of May 2015

Yes its interpreted as a new collection this month, if its been rehabbed then IMO its not reporting correctly. Dispute it directly with them not with the CRA. You can make your case with direct dispute.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Direct-dispute/td-p/2309095

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! yes, I already opened up a dispute with EXP and I have also written a letter to the student loan advocate. They are very nice to me over the phone, they updated my report from 120+days late to "paid in full" and removed 9 late payments (30,60,90 days). It baffles me that this is correct on TU and EQ but it's wrong on EXP.

As part of my strategy with student loans, I also wrote a letter to the VP of the student loan rep that previously helped me and commended the rep's patience and diligence with my case. I often write a thank you letter for good service, you never know when that will come in handy Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is also puzzling that the "First Reported" date now shows up as 5/2015 on my EXP report; last mont this same account was showing as "First Reported" = 8/2011 which would be consistent with the date this account was originally opened (6/2011).

I called EXP to dispute this entry and they told me to call student loan servicer, because they provided that data to EXP. Hmmmm,, something just doesn't jive here...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.